A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

carbon fiber texture/UV problems
Posted: 26 September 2014 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2012-12-27

Hi, I am modeling a part that needs to have a carbon fiber texture applied to it as shown in the attached photograph and am having problems getting the UVs to follow the contour of the part. Is there a way to rescue the UVs in the model in the attached scene file? If I were to start from scratch, what would be the best approach to modeling a part like this keeping in mind the flow of UVs.

Also, the client provided a CAD file of the part, but the UVs are a real mess on the imported file. How would I go about getting the UVs to follow the contour of the CAD model so I can apply a carbon fiber texture?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

-Randy

File Attachments
Geske UV problems scene file.zip  (File Size: 275KB - Downloads: 213)

Posted: 26 September 2014 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Joined  2012-12-27

I have studied how to work with UVs in C4D and have watched many tutorials, but it is still a real struggle. I spent hours trying to get the UVs to work right on this model before I came to the forum for advice. I know it isn’t the glamorous part of 3D, but can anyone give me advice? Thanks if you can!
-Randy

Posted: 27 September 2014 01:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Randy,

The idea of Carbon fiber, so far I understand it, that the fiber by itself can be bend, but has no option to change its length. Interwoven it becomes by itself a little bit like fabric, as the fibers itself are not connected. But the no change of length stays the same. So it needs some massaging of the fabric to shape it so it can go into the mold and as Wiki puts it: “The binding polymer is often a thermoset resin such as epoxy, but other thermoset or thermoplastic polymers, such as polyester, vinyl ester or nylon, are sometimes used.” This combination allows for the strength.

To create a relatively nice representation of it, yes, UV editing is certainly the way to go here. My suggestion would be, to create a black and white texture that “reads” like a checker board texture, but has one direction clearly readable. The checkerboards should be similar to the Final texture, or a clear known multiplication of such, so you get not lost. The UV texture in your example is to even colored and too large speaking of the squares.
Set your current UV texture to Tile in UV, to get an idea how dense this needs to be. This texture will help to guid the manual process to get this established. I’m not aware of a good automatic that could do it for you.

I guess you know all of that, but I needed this so we talk about the same.

I guess the lower part of your model (image orientation) will give the start point. From there you might just take a plain texture to sketch with BodyPaint 3D the “flow” of the fabric. Memorizing the work with Glas-fiber/Polyester, the main areas need to be determine and possible seams must be defined. What part will be visible when the part is build in, etc. These thoughts must be in the sketch. Then take some rendering from it, and replace it with the checkerboard texture (not the shader)

Form there is is mostly selecting certain points and move them. The UV Manager>Line Up UV (points_ might be a good step between to get some orientation back into the current mesh.

Interactive projecting might help for some areas, but it might also require a lot of time to fix the “island” results then to a homogeneous texture.

Start with one of the larger areas—if that is the one most prominently visible later on.

UV is interactive work, hard to tell for such an “complex task” what to do. I check some initially projection, but I’m not happy with the results, so no suggestions here. What I would avoid is, to texture with the SubDivision Object Surface constantly on. Checking from time to time, of course.

I have attached an screen shot, where I would start, but that might vary with your ideas, hence the idea that it is hard to tell. The projection follows the idea that the complete object presents the challenge and not, as assumed above, the lower part. As some parts of the upper part move across the middle axis, this tilted cylindrical projection might help to start. (From any standard projection, while all polygons are selected, you can use the Assign to UV Coordinates, to get back to UV. (The base part might be brought back to its starting point later.)

The second image would be another area to start and get things “in flow” of the fabric.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 03 October 2014 11:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2012-12-27

Thanks for the advice about UVs, Sassi. Here is the final rendering.

Posted: 03 October 2014 11:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the example, Randy.

Looks perfect.

You’re welcome. :o)

I know for sure that the most part was your hard work, but to get feedback is always nice, thank you. :o)

My best wishes and lots of success with the project

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]