A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

R16 - ViewPort Issue - Model disappears but shows up when render view is used
Posted: 11 September 2014 09:48 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  93
Joined  2013-09-19

I do not know why this is occurring but my viewport just stopped showing some objects. The objects show up in render view and interactive render region.

Any suggestions.

Posted: 11 September 2014 10:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi CreativeRaul,

Please contact the support.

The only thing that I would check, besides a re-start, is the Preferences>OpenGL>Use OpenGL. If switching off this option and the viewport is stable, you might check also if there is an Automatic switch between graphic options (if there are more than one, like in Mac Laptops—Energy Preferences). Just a thought. Anyway: Support is the way to go. http://www.maxon.net/support/support-questions.html

Good luck

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 11 September 2014 10:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2013-09-19

Thanks Sassi,

I tried the OpenGL and nothing. It’s weird even the camera is not showing up. Just the handles to control its perimeters.

I will contact support.

Posted: 11 September 2014 10:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Too sad, sorry.

One more thing, can you copy everything from the Object Manager into a new file, and save that. Restart and open the new file. Again just a guess, perhaps just killing your time. I hope the support will find an fix for you

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 11 September 2014 10:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2013-09-19

I tried that too and the problems appeared in the new file. I just started over with a fresh new file. I don’t know if its because the polygon count on the skull model were to high but I reduced it.

I’ll see if this happens again as I keep working. I was using displacement and adding the same texture to the reflection channels and thats when it all started.

Here were the results before it went south on me.

Posted: 11 September 2014 10:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

I see, thanks for the extra information, CreativeRaul.

If the polygon number is too high, it might slows down everything of course, you’re correct. If that is the reason, perhaps you have the Activity Monitor open to see if there is some heavy lifting done, which doesn’t show the CPU activity, but perhaps you find the GPU and memory activity working hard to get something visible.

Rule of thumb, polygons smaller than a pixel are a waste of recourse. Sounds maybe weird, but with SubDivision Surface and Sub-PolygonDispalcement such situation are easily established, with no advantage.
A good mix between displacement (for larger and medium details) and bump mapping (for finer details) is certainly worth testing.

If you go to Editor View>Options>Configure All>View and in that tab, enable Back Face Culling, you might get some speed back.

Agan, my best wishes.

Sassi

Signature 

NEW: