A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Thinking Particles, PRolling
Posted: 28 August 2014 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  168
Joined  2014-06-09

Hello,

Using a Random node, set to vector output, connected to the Axis input of a PRolling node, I’m able to make the particles change their rotation randomly.  That’s all good.  But I was wondering if it’s possible to apply random HPB values to each particle individually as they’re emitted and have those unique values stick to each individual particle so that every particle has unique rotational values.

Thanks!

Jerome

PS
Here’s my scene.

File Attachments
tp 29 (PRolling).c4d.zip  (File Size: 35KB - Downloads: 112)

Posted: 29 August 2014 02:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Jerome,

The simplest way would be to use the “Index” output and feed that into the “Seed” input of the “Random”.

This should give you a nice variety. Let me know if that works for you.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 29 August 2014 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2014-06-09

Thanks Sassi,

That’s not quite what I meant, but it’s okay, just following along with the curriculum you’ve set up for Thinking Particles (http://www.cineversity.com/forums/viewthread/1352/) I soon discovered the PSpin node which does what I was looking for (i.e. setting unique values to each individual particle).  I guess the main point of the PRolling node is to have all of the particles “spin” in the same direction at the same time, while the PSpin node acts more like the PStorm’s Spin controls.

All the best,

Jerome

Posted: 29 August 2014 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the reply, Jerome.

My understanding was that each particle should have its own rotation (-value), so it doesn’t look too artificial (?) perhaps. (”...if it’s possible to apply random HPB values to each particle individually…”

I could read in it that each particle becomes randomly new rotational values, perhaps for each frame, and/or for each single one. Am I too far off with my interpretations…?

The PRolling, accordingly to the Help-Content: With this node, you can achieve two different types of effect. You can use it to roll particles over a surface — the larger the particle, the longer each revolution takes. The second effect is to distort the size of the particles based on their speed. This enables you to create the squash and stretch effect of objects such as tennis balls, or effects that are similar to motion blur.

Which is more complex than the:

PSpin: This node controls the rotation speed and direction (i.e. the spin) of particles about their axis systems.

Both are useful with no question.

Enjoy your exploration :o)

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 29 August 2014 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2014-06-09

Yeah, I wasn’t using the PRolling for it’s intended purpose.  My mistake.  I was trying to make the PRolling behave like PSpin.  Of course, now that I’m aware of PSpin, there’s no need to make PRolling behave like PSpin.

Thank you for your help.  ;^)

Posted: 29 August 2014 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

I wouldn’t think of it as a mistake, if you get an result then it is fine from my point of view. These are functions, no rules, which I think is a different.
In the future you will find your preferred way to do things.

Enjoy. :o)

Signature 

NEW:

‹‹ Q&A_miscellaneous      texture dissapering ››