A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Xpresso 101 11 Memory
Posted: 12 August 2014 05:00 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  168
Joined  2014-06-09

Dr. Sassi,

At the end of the lesson, you mention that feeding one memory node into another can cause trouble.  Is that still the case with R15?  I tried it and didn’t find any problems.  Here is the file for reference.

I’m not sure when I would want to do something like this, but it’s still nice to know that it exists.

All the best,

Jerome Olivier

File Attachments
xpresso 101 lesson 10 memory.c4d.zip  (File Size: 21KB - Downloads: 204)

Posted: 12 August 2014 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for sharing your findings, Jerome Olivier.

As I do excessive research before I do a tutorial, I have no answer to this right now. As I said it can (!) but it mustn’t :o). So, take it as a heads up, but I stick with it for now:

I can’t say anything at this moment, it takes some time to get this explored. In C4D we have way over 1,000 functions and options, combine three of them and you are (theoretical) in the billions of options. If somethings works or not is always dependent on the context, the release, but normally things work of course. I’m normally carefully with my advices. E.g., think about Net-Rendering, Team Rendering, different Versions, when was the change if there was one. Which platt-form (OS) etc.

If you find a reason why one would have the need to feed a cascading information into the scene, and not use the information directly on this node, I will check it out. So far I haven’t found one, only trouble in some cases at that time.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 12 August 2014 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  168
Joined  2014-06-09

Got it.  Thanks.

Posted: 13 August 2014 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome.

You will find my little “notes of caution” all over the place, so it is not that I want or have the need to be right: I wish every part would be combinable with anything all the time.

Example, some people like to use several Subdivision Surface objects in a hierarchy, which has caused more trouble in the past then to set a single one up and change it if needed.

With so many possible combinations, no single person on this planet (at least to my knowledge) has tested all possible cases. Even after nearly two decades of using C4D I find, more often than not, new combinations. Which means to me only, if someone expects that anyone has to know everything (and for each release—updated of course), how much knowledge has the “requester” of such: Not so much.

This is the beauty finally, there is sooo much to explore, and when it works for your target: GREAT! :o)

Enjoy.

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]