A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Sculpting with Pose Morphs question
Posted: 07 August 2014 11:21 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-07-29

Hi all, I have a quick question regarding sculpting on a mesh that already has pose morphs. I imported a character model from Mixamo Fuse. This mesh is rigged and also contains facial pose morphs. Ideally, I’d like to be able to subdivide the mesh and sculpt extra detail onto it. When I do this, the pose morph tag stops working. I assumed that there would be a setting to allow the sculpting subdivision to take place after the pose morph tag does it’s thing, but I can’t seem to be able to find it.

Anyway, long story short, I’m looking for a way to sculpt on a mesh but retain it’s already created morphs.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Posted: 07 August 2014 11:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi DeGrootMedia,

I assume the facial PoseMorph is based on the “Points” setting, and not a morph of joints. The stored morph targets are just points. To just change the object, will not change the stored points, which are “naturally” on a different position. If the amount of points is changed, the connection to the “data” of the morph is damaged.

My only idea (brainstorming here!) would be to take a polygon copy of the original model, sculpt it and bake out a displacement map (Sub-Polygon-Displacement/SPD). This map—might—help you to stay open for later changes, as you keep the copy and change there, and transfer the next changes with a new SPD map.

Perhaps there is an other way, but here I admit, I have no further idea at the moment.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 08 August 2014 12:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-07-29

Thanks for the suggestion! That makes sense to me. SPD map might do the trick. I’m going to hop into BodyPaint and see how much I can fake with some texture maps - then if I need to add some more detail after that I will give the SPD map a shot! The nice thing is the Fuse model’s topology is actually pretty clean and easy to work with - if the SPD is a no-go and I need to recreate the pose morphs after enhancing the model a bit, that’s not a deal breaker. Thanks again!

Posted: 08 August 2014 02:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome, DeGrootMedia.

Let me know if there is any other question.

My best wishes

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]