A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Spline deformer deforme by a second spline
Posted: 29 July 2014 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2007-01-15

Hi Cineversity

I have been trying over and over but I cannot get the deformer to work the way I want !

so there it is , I try to explain the best I can

I want to create a ribbon twisting on i’m self a bit like a spring, but I need that twisted effect to be apply to a specific shape (so I cannot use a bend deformer or so - see image exemple A

Then I try deforming my first spline deformer “a helix in this case with a second spline deformer” work ok but not with the ribbon effect” see exemple B on the image

I simply need that ribbbon to keep is original defomation and then apply it to a specific shape.

anyway hope it’s clear and I including a file as well.

Thanks you

File Attachments
theRibbon_0001.c4d.zip  (File Size: 73KB - Downloads: 124)

Posted: 29 July 2014 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Gregg,

You might like to tweak some values, but I hope the set up works for you. I used a bend deformer here for the “sketch”. If you can supply the final spline, I will have a look into that.

The “Rail” diameter and the Spline itself have an impact on the result when bend this strong. You might check those.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 29 July 2014 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2007-01-15

Hi Sassi,
How did you get this nice deformation ?! I was trying a lot of this around but couldn’t make it look smooth !!
there is a file similar to my final spline !
can’t wait to dig in your file !

Cheers !

File Attachments
splineshape.c4d.zip  (File Size: 49KB - Downloads: 118)

Posted: 29 July 2014 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Gregg,

I have attached your spline with the Helix-Band around.

First, I have set up that shape to Intermediate Points>Uniform with “way too much” points. Just to be safe. (There is another Spline “1.3” with the original settings.)

Then I created a helix machine for the Spline and the Rail. This is the Null construction. Your helix had 5255ยบ, so I rotated it over the whole time exactly like this with the second Null. You see how the first one moves, but set the Position of it with a Linear interpolation for the Key Frame. Same “linear” for the rotation.

The amount of frames in the time line stands for the points you will get on the Spline/Rail.

I have set the Animate>Play Mode>Simple. So when you run this “machine” from frame zero it will stop on the last frame. This will allow the MoGraph Tracer to create a nice product and it stops on the end. The Tracer has two Nulls in it to create the Spline/Rail combination. The Y distance to the parent Null creates the “radius” of the Helix.

The Tracer can be copied and while active, press the c key. With the new spline active, go to the Mesh>Spline>Explode option to get the two splines as separate splines. These go into the Spline Wrap as Spline and Rail.

The Axis in the Spline wrap has to agree to the Plane orientation of course.

Good luck with the project

Sassi

File Attachments
CV2_r15_drs_14_MOhx_11.c4d.zip  (File Size: 209KB - Downloads: 135)
 Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 29 July 2014 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2007-01-15

Hi Sassi
Thanks
What I like about the Helix method is that I can have control over the height bias and animate it, but i’m pretty sure you method is a very good start for this !
Thanks again i will take a closer look at it !

Posted: 29 July 2014 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Gregg, I write first (Fast Reply) and then attach the files (by editing the post, so sorry for the delay), I guess you found it.
:o)

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 29 July 2014 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2007-01-15

yes And I have also edit my message after refresh it smile lol !

Posted: 29 July 2014 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the reply.

Gregg, the Helix set up is similar to the Helix “machine”. The distance of the Null Object 1 and 2 can be animated. With that you have even more control along the “helix”. Similar to that, you can animate the “Align to Spline” and create a very fluid density change over its length.

If you use the F-Curves, you will see how much control you have gained. Even if you set up only start and end keyframes, the F-Curve allows already for more options than the Helix-Object :o)

Yes, it is not as interactive as the Helix-Object, but give it a ten minutes to get used to the options that you gained.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

‹‹ Q&A_miscellaneous      Hockey Net Model ››