A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Crowd Simulation
Posted: 24 July 2014 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2014-07-24

I haven’t found any C4D tutorials for crowd simulation.  I would like to create some random cheering fans in a stadium.  Does anyone have a good technique?
Thanks

Posted: 24 July 2014 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Vigs,

Sounds more like a question, than a suggestion, so I moved it.

Eight years ago I did this little example here, my English was pretty rusty at that time, sorry about this.
http://www.cineversity.com/vidplaytut/mograph_step_crowd_scenes

I would suggest to use a similar set up, but perhaps with Polygon-objects (e.g., plane) and with an image sequence as main information.
It might be simple to photograph people in different (sequential) poses with a greenscreen and get the alfa channels in that way. Shot the images from several sides, keep the light direction in mind. For larger scene the Cloner>Sort/Effector Modify clone comes to mind. For large scenes I would try to keep the CPU workload low, so Blend as an option seems pretty expensive (CPU wise) for thousands of figures. Lots of options, but each project has perhaps a specific requirement. Share more about your target and we can get closer.

The random effector might help here a lot. Or the standard Particle Emitter in the Falloff of an Effector. Let me know if you like to have examples/sketches.

There was a presentation at (?) Siggraph/NAB a while ago where I saw that idea as well, but I can’t find it. (Search terms Stadium, Crowd, etc)

So, let me share one more idea, perhaps you can define the camera position early on, so the crowd in the distance could be done by rendering out a small crowd and projecting it on a plane. Etc.

If you have a sketch or more detailed questions, let me know.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 24 July 2014 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

P.S.: To give you an impression about one of my suggestions, I have set up this little scene in few minutes.
For the final stadium scene I would add more ... but to get the idea, this is how I would do it.

The numbers are just place holders for images, or image sequences. You need to render to see the full result.

The P.Y and R.H changes might be useful, but were introduced for demo purposes only. ;o)

The Image sequences will “ping-pong” in such a set up. With that it is repeatable as it goes back to the start. If photographed accordingly it works nicely.
If you have a very specific “choreography” for your “people”, I would use a tracer as Falloff based on the particles, which allows for running one time through and then stop.

I’m happy to dive deeper into this, if you share more details.

File Attachments
CV_r15_drs_14_MGcs_01.zip  (File Size: 180KB - Downloads: 408)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

‹‹ Q&A_miscellaneous      Adapt Thread Priority ››