A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Scale object along spline.
Posted: 10 June 2014 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2011-12-01

I have been trying to scale a cloner arrow object along a spline. The scene requires the arrow to be large at the start and small at the end. The scaling needs to remain constant, always large at the start and smaller at the end. I have tried the step effector without success. Its not looping properly, seems to reverse scale creating a small to large flow.

I think this should be an easy effect to achieve but for some reason I have had no luck. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

File Attachments
ArrowSplineTest.zip  (File Size: 64KB - Downloads: 195)

Posted: 10 June 2014 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Devoted,

I would set up a straight spline for the Cloner Object, so you get the Loop already with a “slider-adjustment”. (Attribute Manager: Object >Rate)

In that way you get a straight line of arrows moving in one direction.

This cloner is then placed under a Null object, so you can place a Spline Wrap as sibling to the Cloner.

The Spline wrap should have a FIX bounding box! (Attribute Manager: Object>Fix Bounding box—checked)

In the Spline Wrap you can set the Spline Size (vs the Size) for the whole spline with a Spline-Interface, so you get the scale over the Spline Path (You named this spline: ArrowRight)

Additional, the ArrowRight.Rail is optional and helps to turn the Arrows on their way into the right direction.

(I have set the Cloner>Transform>Scale value to make the effect more visible, this is not needed!)

Let me know if that works for you. Perhaps subdivide for the final model the arrow, so it bends nicely. I know—this was a sketch only. Thanks for providing it as it makes it easier to communicate.

(I excluded here the Spline Effector—and I think the attached scene speaks for itself.)

All the best

Sassi

File Attachments
CV2_r15_drs_14_MGas_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 47KB - Downloads: 231)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 10 June 2014 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2011-12-01

Thank you! I never knew I could achieve the effect using Spline Wrap, I actually haven’t used Spline Wrap much at all. I might have to spend some time getting to know it’s abilities. Your method worked perfectly. Thanks again.

Posted: 10 June 2014 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome, Devoted. Thanks for the feedback :o)

Good luck with the project.

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]