A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Grid texture/edge lines
Posted: 17 May 2014 02:36 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2006-12-18

I’ve tried Sketch to get this effect, but I cannot replicate the shadows or gradients.

I attached a photo of what I’m trying to achieve, but I can’t seem to figure out how to get it right with the shadows and such…

I assume its a pattern, or regular texture, but I’m rather new to custom building my own textures..

Ideas?

Posted: 17 May 2014 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Scotty71,

I have a little (!) sketch for you attached. You might tweak the parameters, but I hope it goes into the right direction. It doesn’t seems like an edge-effect.

I have no idea how much you are used to setting up the parameters of the Texture Tag, but click on the Texture Tag and then go to the Attribute Manager and check the Tab “Tag’. (Offset, Length, etc) Just play with it, you will get in a minute a good feel for it.

The material could be a texture with a single gray cross, but I thought it might be simpler to use the Shader ‘Tile” for that. Shader>Surface>Tile (from the Texture Menu)

The gradient and light, looks like GI and that is a longer story (compared to the space here I have for text) Patrick has just released an excellent new series about it, you might check it out. Certainly worth it to know anyway.

I see as well a use of Ambient Occlusion there, but that—and how much is an artist call. Make certain to reder a light pass to exclude the AO where light comes naturally. (AO is as before only based on Geometry only!)

Alternative: You render the scene with GI using just a gray texture. A second path renders the Sketch &Toons; lines; pass. You combine both in Ae.

A single cross tile as texture/image would perhaps require to go deeper into UV(W) editing. If you share an example, I’m happy to set this object up.

All the best

Sassi

File Attachments
CV2_r15_drs_14_TXgi_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 79KB - Downloads: 133)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 21 May 2014 11:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Another way to do it, is to go to the UV Editor with a nice texture (just gray ;o) in the Color channel, and select all the UVs. The UVs should not overlap for this and relatively even spaced (even stands here for the size the related polygon had.)

This method allows it to select all edges or only the one you like, or all and deselect some of them…

Then just make certain that the edge color (Foreground color is to your liking and as in the image shown, one click and you’re done.

Easier, nicer… or perhaps too complex, certainly dependent on your experience with the UV Editor. Certainly a must know “stuff” and if known already, a nice refresher. Then illuminate as discussed above.

:o)

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

‹‹ Q&A_miscellaneous      Mograph possibly? ››