A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

spline dynamics with rigid body
Posted: 30 April 2014 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2013-08-06

I want to have a torus be supported by a dynamic spline, like a string through a ring. It keeps falling through. Any ideas.

File Attachments
stringtorus.zip  (File Size: 43KB - Downloads: 126)

Posted: 30 April 2014 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Mark Parris,

I have no idea how a Spline with a “Spline Dynamic” can have DIRECT influence to the Dynamic system. The Spline Dynamic might need to be translated for that use. One option would be to have the Spline working alone, and cache it in that way. The cached Spline need then to be in a Sweep[NURBS] set up, to produce the collider function. (Moving Mesh). This will exclude the “weight” of the Torus, and with that—will not show any influence back to the spline. Perhaps a collider (for the spline) which introduced first, before the cache, might deliver such “visual” effect to the scene. I guess—that is not your target.

My suggestion, set up some springs from the dynamics and connect the torus between two of these springs. The Springs have objects between them to introduce weight. These objects (like pearls on a robe) can be used in a Tracer to produce the spline. Sounds backwards, but might work for your set up.

If both don’t work, perhaps a manual set up is needed. Sometimes a capture with a practical camera delivers better results, and is easy to “track” manually. Your idea about that might vary of course.

All the best

Sassi

The images relate to the two options I have discussed.
Spring based file (simplified!):
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share?s=N5nYMN6EQgAt6Rb0B3TucY

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]