A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

bodypaint problem
Posted: 14 February 2014 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  298
Joined  2010-04-13

Hi, I made a hand model with the sculpt tools-so far so good-with my UVs already set I’d like to paint my hand-but any time I try to load a pale color, my brush loads a very saturated version of the color, and I can not seem to “lighten it”-I have tried multiple times to vary the intensity, value, but the value/intensity stays the same, any thought?
  also, in a prior situation before I decided to use BP, , I have selection tags for the finger nails and another one for the hand, but thy do not seem to work with a sculpted model, or at least mine-can someone please tell me what it is I am doing wrong?-thanks you

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 14 February 2014 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Craig,

I can’t reproduce the pale color problem. I tried it with values that I found to be close to skin-tones (which is a wide variety of tones, so here just for that sake of “pale tones”.
I sculpted a little bit, went then into freeze mode and applied textures to it. I was able to paint any color on it.

From this alone, I would highly suggest to get in touch with the support. They might give as well an answer to the other question. Sorry, but I can’t do more as I have not more data from you.

Have you tried to bake it, hi res or with normal/displacement support?

http://www.maxon.net/support/support-questions.html

Have a great weekend

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 14 February 2014 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2010-04-13

Hi Dr. Sassi, thanks for your time. As fate would have it, I did get it to work, w/various values and intensities of color. I recall running into this issue before, w/older versions of BP-my model is maybe, 1.6 million polys, maybe that is contributing to slow redraw?, I don’t know, but will run it by support. I do have another issue-when my model was lower rez, before I sculpted, I made some polygon selection tags-these do not work with my same sculpted version of the model, is this typical?I was hoping to maybe, use BP for my hand model, and some PS files for the fingernails, which I can always paint in BP-also, would you mind please explaining to me, “frozen mode” of the model?, I am not familiar with that, thank you-Craig

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 14 February 2014 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Craig,

I got your second problem, and I sorry if I left it alone, knowing that you would contact the support anyway. I can only repeat:

Please check with the support.

I found not a consistent workflow with selections in r15. So, I went back into r11.5 and there everything works.

I guess (and that is a wild and un-educated guess) that it has to do with the changes in the graphic system.

Not even “ray-brush rendered” images work here. The only way I can paint of slections is given, if I freeze the image [*] symbol, and then un-freeze it, Ray-Brush pre-render it and paint.

So, as this seems to be a technical problem, I’m not supposed to go deeper with it, this is clearly a support case.

Good luck

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 14 February 2014 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2010-04-13

No worries Dr. Sassi-when something doesn’t work for me, is it me?, or tech issue, or limitations to the software-thanks, i will contact tech support-Best, Craig

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 14 February 2014 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the feedback, Craig.

I know the feeling, so I’m happy to explore it and share my findings. Have your tried this: The only way I can paint of slections is given, if I freeze the image [*] symbol, and then un-freeze it, Ray-Brush pre-render it and paint.
But that doesn’t work in projection painting. So for me that needs to go to the support.

I hope it can be solved directly for you, crossing the fingers.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 14 February 2014 04:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2010-04-13

thanks-btw, I am a painting in a 3D space, which I love, very traditional in approach, I rotate the model etc-would you mind please explaining the whole ” freeze” approach, as you have mentioned-can you tell me the workflow, and pros and cons?, thanks

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 14 February 2014 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

The “Freeze 3D View” function was introduced to take view, and render it for Photoshop. If back from Photoshop it becomes merged with the “model” texture.

Just “right mouse click” on the icon to get more data from the help menu (see image [*])

It puts the data into the Layer (Tab). Select and de-select. So it is available for the the time being, and Ray-Brush Rendered I was able to paint of the selection. I had only the selection Material-textur set to active and the “pen” icon active as well.

Pro’s and cons: Well, this was more a test, if I can get at all to my data. So I paint practically on a copy. The normal use for this is, that you can take any “detail” area out of the model and paint in Photoshop very nicely on it.

It is the icon on the right in the image.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 14 February 2014 04:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Joined  2010-04-13

thanks, much clearer now-Best, CZ

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 14 February 2014 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome, Craig. Anyway, I hope this “workaround” is not needed very long. ;o) Raybrush Render-view should work by it self without any workarounds. ;o)

Signature 

NEW:

‹‹ Q&A_miscellaneous      painting issue ››