A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Custom Materials on a Multi Shader
Posted: 10 February 2014 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2006-07-25

I have 5 Custom Shaders that i created with a specific Gradient color on the Color Channel, Reflection, and Specular Channels. I want to use each of them as a multi Shader. Is this possible? What im trying to do is have a polygon that is broken up with shards and have them random with my shaders. But when i created a multi shader I can only use 1 Reflection and one color on the specular. I created a file of how each shader is suppose to look and it is different then my multi shader. Can anyone help..
Thank You

Marco

File Attachments
Sample.c4d.zip  (File Size: 420KB - Downloads: 116)

Posted: 10 February 2014 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Marco,

The Multi-shader needs then to be used in each channel (of the “Master Material”, as you named it). Perhaps I miss a point here, if so please let me know.

I guess we think the same about the Multi-shader, it can have multi shaders in it, not multi-materials. Each of the layers in the Multi-Shader can be adressed based on the, e.g., Brightness of the “clones” (as in your example).

To have a Multi-Material, the Multi-Shader needs to be set up in the channels, in each of them. The limitations are based on the options inside of the Material, as it can only work for areas where textures (Shaders) can work. The colors that you like to have needs to be in part of the Multi-Shader Set up. These colors can’t be the ones that you get with the “Mix” sliders. (the given native channel option). If the mix is without influence, the Multi-Shader takes this part over completely.

What will not work is the part that is pure parametrically, e.g., Reflection_blur.

Let me know if this answers the question.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 10 February 2014 08:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

P.S.: to “hard wire” the five materials for your scene, you could create five polygon “Selection tags”, and apply the five materials to the Fracture Object with the Selection tags applied to the Texture Tags. Sounds like work, but gives you complete control. Hint, “Hide selected” helps for the selection process, to have no double entries.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 10 February 2014 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2006-07-25

Hey Sassi
Thank you for the quick replay. Ok i know if i applied a selection tag to my Star polygons that will give me exact control with my 5 materials but what if i have 1000 polygons that will take up alot of time. I figured I can use a Fracture, Dissconnect my polygon and apply a random shader to it. But as you see in the project The Red Shader has a Gradient to the texture channel, and in the reflection I have a fresnel and the color is set to a yellow tint. and the specular has a orange color in the color channel. My Blue Shader has a fresnel and a yellow tint to the color channel in the reflection Channel, My specular has a cyan to the Color channel in the Specular channel, And each of my 5 shaders have a different color to their own respective Specular and reflection channel. So if I created a multi shader to each channel how will I get for example a Fresnel and the color set to 35 brightness to lets say the Reflection channel and how can i know each color will match my custom shader.  Like making sure my green shader has the reflection set to yellow with a fresnel and specular set to a darker yellow. I hope this makes sense.
Marco

Posted: 10 February 2014 09:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Marco,

I could go along the list of needs and check each one, but I stick with the selection idea for now:

Why is that a lot of work, even with 1,000 or 10,000 fragments? It isn’t! The main work is the five materials, right? ;o)

How to do it?

Switch off the Displacer and the “Random Effector.1”

Then go to the “Random Effector” set its displacement from point to polygon and increase the Position Z value to 5,000 or whatever makes sense to separate them. (You need to be in Edit Window>Configure All>“Deform Editing” checked on) It might need the same parameter than Effector.1, so perhaps you use a copy of RE.1 and set this to Deform Polygons and any other effector to off!

With the STar.1 object active, use the Rectangle Selection with “Select only visible” to off. Go to the top view!

Create you five groups with five quick selections (incl. Selection Tags) and apply the tags to the five materials. Doable under a minute. The movement in Z is precisely the

Set the random Effector back to point and the Z value to the one used before, etc.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 10 February 2014 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2006-07-25

Hey Sassi , I got it working now. What i did was went to each channel and used a multi shader to each channel and made sure I kept the right order to each Multi shader color. For example If I start on the Purple Shader I had the reflection set to green, and specular set to a lite purple. I added a Layer channel with a fresnel and above that a multi Shader and the first color was set to Green, and same with Specular adding a multi shader and 1st channel set to purple and with each Color I copied the same colors as my original 5 shaders. I got confused because my original Multi Shader had more Colors then my original 5 colors and that confused me.. Now my colors are more Rich and pop out like my first try at this.. Thank You so much for all your help.. Also I tried your way with the Z Depth and that works perfect!!!! Thank You
Marco
http://74.91.240.40/FINAL.zip

Posted: 10 February 2014 10:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Nice that it works for you, Marco.

Thanks for the feedback that the first suggestion worked for this scene.

Good luck with your project

Sassi

Signature 

NEW: