A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

TP Particle Collision
Posted: 17 January 2014 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2013-08-06

This has to be easy, I want my particle shapes to have realistic dynamic interaction with the deflector.

My TP goes into a shape but the shape goes through the deflector. How to I get the geometry to respond correctly?

File Attachments
ParticleCollision.zip  (File Size: 106KB - Downloads: 143)

Posted: 17 January 2014 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Markparris,

There are typically two ways to do it, one is to offset the Deflector or to use an Object as deflector (invisible to the camera) that has the size of the particles “balanced”. (Typically done with a normal shift to inflate the object). Exploring your file, you know these already.

Yes, that works only with particles in similar size, such as the spheres in your example. If there are groups with the same size, but the groups itself are different, then the particle flow might take advantage of the options to split the particle stream into TPGroups.

The deflector has no idea about the geometry of the particles. If something like this is needed, you need to take the particles out of the TP and into the Dynamics/MoGraph. Here the dynamic engine can take the real shape into account.

All the best

Sassi

Help

Offset Type
Offset [-∞..+∞]
Variation [0..100%]
Especially when using large objects as particles, you will need to offset the distance at which collision detection takes place from the surface against which the particles rebound. This Offset Type enables you to define the type of offset used.
None
No offset will be calculated; the particles will collide directly with the surface.
Particle Size Travel
Particle Size X
Particle Size Y
Particle Size Z

The particle size (in its direction of travel) will be used for the collision detection; this is especially useful when the particle is stretched in its direction of travel.
The particle size along the X axis, Y axis or Z axis will be used for the collision detection, depending on which one of these three settings you choose.
User Defined Travel
User Defined X
User Defined Y
User Defined Z

This is the same option as Particle Size Travel except you can define the offset using Offset. In addition, you can vary the offset using Variation.
These settings have the same effect as Particle Size X, Particle Size Y and Particle Size Z except that you can define the offset using Offset. In addition, you can vary the offset using Variation.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 17 January 2014 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

P.S.: To share an example, I have used your file and modified it a tiny little bit.
I used the TP-Deflector only as Event. Took a longer Offset Type, and when the “Event” is triggered, it moves all of the Particles in question into a new group.

This group is then supplied to the MoGraph Cloner. This in return allows all sizes and shapes of objects, if not larger than the Deflector setting (or the P.Y as mentioned later)

Your file indicates that you are familiar with such ideas. So I think the file already illustrates the idea in the best way.

Particles that move to Group one are marked in red with a box.

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share?s=CM78L9axQoEnogRr409npc

I assume the plane is just there as an example. Otherwise, if the plane is the deflector, the XPresso solution could have been just a Logic/Compare among the P.Y. If the y has a specific value then go to the next group. Which might be much faster and more precise than the deflector (Which suffers sometimes to catch very fast particles)

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]