A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Importing Solidworks into Cinema 4D
Posted: 25 November 2013 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-11-22

Hi

I was wondering if anyone had a good solution for converting a sldasm file to an obj file to import and animate in Cinema 4D?

Thanks!

Posted: 25 November 2013 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17

You need to use an intermediary format.

As far as I know there is no converter for the sldasm format.
The closest thing that you could get would be to use something like IGES.
Once you have the IGES file you can then use an application like Rhino or MOI to convert the IGES file into polygons.
I should note that studio should have an option to import IGES as well, but in my (limited) experience with that importer, the results can be so-so.

If you use Rhino, you can go even further and use an exchange plugin called Rhino IO, which can grab the display data from Rhino and bring that into C4D as a polygon object (probably the cleanest mesh you can possibly get.)

I hope Dr. Sassi chimes in here as well, hopefully he can shed some more light on additional options.

Posted: 25 November 2013 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

http://help.solidworks.com/2012/English/SolidWorks/sldworks/Importing_Exporting_SolidWorks_Documents.htm

Thanks Patrick, I have no idea how to get this converted directly, other than load it into the native software and export it.

IGES is of course a great option, if the exporter writes it out nicely. My first test would be with VRML, as it is fast and simple, works or not. ;o)

To my understanding (with very little to none experience with it), it is an 3D presentation program. Which means (at least to me) that they optimize the information they get, and limit anything to the bare minimum, to keep the final file small. Again, just a wild assumption. So I would wonder how much has survived from the original source file, if it was, e.g., IGES.

If that is a file provided by a client, the first question for me would be - is there a source file prior to that? IF so, use this. Because otherwise it would have gone through many apps on the end, which is certainly not advisable.

Good Luck Hobbico, and sorry for the spare information. My best advice, check the link and compare it. I assume you have not the application: I have no idea if the demo version will allow for an export.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]