A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Grabing an Object with two hands
Posted: 18 November 2013 10:52 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2013-10-29

Hello.

I am trying to get my caracter hold a object with two hand. But i still get a delay on one of the hands. I try to solve the issue by changing the priority but still get the delay. Has anybody try to do something like this?

Here is the file. Thanks a lot XD

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uik1dmmlssz8wkp/rifle_two_hand_grab.c4d

Posted: 18 November 2013 11:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Kaporitofrontino,

The object that should be moved from one to the other hand is as in your initial post buried under many others, and in a direct hierarchy.

You have used: 

29 Xpresso Tags (well, the first one was not really useful, empty nodes etc, I have no idea what was their use in the first place.)
20 Pose Morph Tags
83 Constrains Tags
18 IK Tags, and a total of
91 Character Constrains

Certainly nothing that I like to list in a hierarchically analysis manually—just to check if it could work within a multi parenting hierarchy.  You might understand perhaps. However, the first tags that I believe are in charge for that, contain all the “Expression—+25” Level. None of these is checked as “Camera Dependent”, which might answer perhaps what you miss.

Your animation goes up to frame 35. So I made a preview rendering. If I get this correctly, the hands stop moving (fingers etc) at frame 11 and start moving at 22 (?) again. During that time, I can’t see any delay in the animation.

Again, the preview editor might not work in the way as the final rendering does, for many reasons of course. To keep an constant update while on is working the conditions are different to the rendering requirements.

The Object should stand alone and have the higher possible priority, perhaps you test even Generator +499 just for fun to get some ideas how it might work.

Backwards scrubbing, as in your initial post might not be possible, especially if the hierarchy is not clean, as some information is not delivered to the frame needed, so it is used what was produced before, and is not updated in the “memory”.

My suggestion, as before: Keep things out of the main hierarchy, if it has to be constrained from one to another object.

If nothing helps and the amount of data is to large in a given environment, perhaps you have to bake some parts, to take these out of the active change and into the keyframes. Keyframes have no delay.

You might like to check with the support, if they have a better idea to get a clear list of hierarchies inside of a scene. I’m not aware if there is a method (plug in) currently available that creates a list-view of such.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 19 November 2013 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2013-10-29

Ty Dr Sassi.

As you can see i am having some trouble with handling objects for my caracter in general. We are a team doing an animated proyect in venezuela . We all come from using some other software like Maya or 3D studio Max. I know that on 3d Studio max, if you used Biped they can get both hands attched to an object and relase the hands in a certain key. The Character system have no such system or i least i dont see it. Thanks to you we solve when handling one item from one hand to another. But geting the two hands into an objet and then releasing it to move one hand freely is something that we are still trying to do.

Posted: 19 November 2013 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome, Kaporitofrontino.

Holding an object with both hands means to me that there is an interaction among the hands, if the object is not leading completely. IF one hand moves, the other one has to follow, given the idea that the holding of the object is firm. So, both hands can move, but also be moved. An crosswise interaction. IF the lead is not clear, there might be a problem. Think of the three objects (Hand-l, Hand-r, Object) as object that “you” as animator direct. With that I have in mind to focus what is the simplest way to achieve that:

I have not tried it, so this is pure guessing (sorry if I waste your time here), but my ideal would be, that only one the “IK hand/arm targets” would need to be constrained as well. In that way one hand/arm take the lead for the time being.

Or the object takes over and leads the two “IK hand/arm” targets for the time it is hold in both hands.

My idea about animating is not to simulate the real world behavior. I’m only interested in the effect that this has on the audience. If the audience can be convinced that the object was hold and moved with one or both hands, all the time, then I have reached my target. Sometimes it is easier to think in reverse. I hope that makes sense ;o)

Good luck with your project.

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 19 November 2013 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2013-10-29

Is DONE! at least i manage to link Both Hands to the object with out geting the delay i was talking. Puting the object out of the character, Geting two nulls inside the objet for each hand to get a PSR to them and puting that PSR on Animation with 300 priority. Is working Pefect. This at least solve in a simple way. I can also animate the stregth of the PSR to get one hand free. And if i want to link again, i just have to put the hand on the same spot and raise the stregth back to 100%.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j2d1o1racu47e9y/rifle_test_done.c4d

Posted: 19 November 2013 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Kaporitofrontino,

Sounds great! Very nice to share some feedback here. :o) Thanks a lot.

My best wishes for the project

Sassi

Signature 

NEW: