A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Make cloner editable so I can change Xref’s easily
Posted: 24 May 2013 11:44 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2012-01-10

For a shelve in a shop I have put an Xref under a cloner so that there are 8 products in line behind each other. Then I put this under a second cloner to put the next to each other. Then I want to hit C on the second cloner so I can change the Xrefs to get a different product in the shelve. But when I hit C on the second (top) cloner, the Xref also becomes editable and is no Xref anymore. Current state to object gives the same result. Who can help.

Thanks in advance

Erik

Posted: 24 May 2013 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Erik,

There is no direct option to stop the converting (C) process, at least to my knowledge.

In the specify case of eight shelfs in a row, you might use the Tools>(Arrange)>Duplicate functions. This allows to create eight XRef copies with no extra steps.

To keep things in MoGraph, the less attractive workflow would be, to place the XRef into an Instance object. This Instance object is then part of your Cloner object set up with the convert option. Any change to the resulting eight Instances can be done by changing the reference of a single or more Instance object references.

My preferred way of working is to avoid the “Make Editable” as far as possible, or as late as possible. To achieve a set up with the flexibility you like to have, place the new XRef under the Cloner and use a Plain effector to “Modify Clones”. IF you have all variations of your shelf under the cloner, you can easily pick the one for a certain place. Perhaps with a Spline object as Fall off (external) to adjust the clone selection. (Sounds complicated for eight shelfs, but if you like I can set up a scene file.) The problem with such set up is, that any new child of the Cloner, might change the distribution. To get a stable selection here, placeholder (Nulls) are typically placed under the cloner.

You might suggest this (http://www.maxon.net/support/suggestions.html) as an option for the protection tag, to prevent any “Making Editable” for the object that has that tag with the suggested function)

In the question above, I would go with the Duplicate options.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 24 May 2013 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2012-01-10

Thanks Sassy,

As I had to finish this today, I made all the Xref’s I needed. Then made the clones with null’s and replaced them later with the xref’s.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll suggest the protection tag think to maxon.

All the best

Erik

Posted: 24 May 2013 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Erik,

You’re welcome and thanks for the work (suggestion!)

May I ask to write my name with an i, thanks, sassy is something different ;o)

All the best
Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

‹‹ Q&A_miscellaneous      Offline Viewing ››