A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Dr. Sassi’s Projection Man posts
Posted: 22 May 2013 04:32 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2007-10-15

Hate to ask this again, but when will Dr. Sassi’s next round of Jet tutorials with Projection Man be up?  I appreciate the tutorials that have been put up so far, but I can not find much that use Projection Man.

I am very desperate to learn more about PM in a production environment.

Thank you,

Doug

Signature 

Doug Marshall smileys/smiley36.gif

Posted: 22 May 2013 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Doug,

Thanks a lot for your interest!  The delay is on my side, sorry about that. The “Photography for 3D Artists” series, with its many themes, provided the need for a lot of research. There was a moment a while ago, where I noticed that all of these parts need a sub series, to connect all of them. In Art or point-and-shoot photography there is a lot of material available, which seems to build up on the old Film-SLR knowledge, and with that, it runs easily into problems—to really get the DSLR material correct. On the other hand, the digital photography seems so similar to renderings, and the starting integration of physical plausible renderings, that many of the differences needed to be addressed here carefully. These differences are critical—if quality is wanted. In short: shooting for 3D scenes, requires to know these differences mentioned above.

The future is certainly “physical plausible” as many render engine developments have shown that over the last decade alone. It doesn’t need a great prophetic skill to see that this will lead to an operational basis which will take the idea of photography as set up idea, e.g., “Stops” and “Exposure-Values (EV)”. Needles to say that a good knowledge-base will be mandatory in the future for that. Thinking like a photographer is certainly an advantage in 3D, and I have certainly not the “automatic” options of a camera in mind ;o) There is a lot of instruction work to do, and I fear the un-learing of wrong information is the main part here, a reason why I go into detail.

In short, the work that I have done so far will hopefully provide a good and appropriate base for 3D. To say it a little bit more bold: It is (to my knowledge) the largest photography series ever done for 3D artists.
I build up on over three decades professional experience (photography) and of course parts of my dissertation, where I had portions of film-making as well integrated, e.g., camera tech and lenses.

I have created here a massive course which will hopefully going to provide a proven method for 3D. My intention was of course to clean up with so many mis-information given in this field. (I watched in the past year alone over 1,000 tutorials about photography and have read many books, to get everything savvy. Needless to say that a lot of the material never found a permanent place on my shelf after going through those, to say it politely.

You asked about the Projection Manger (PM). For me, the PM is a) the follow up tool after setting up a Camera Projection with the Camera Calibrations tool, or b) the options to set up the first Camera Projection for a pure Digital Matte Painting. For both cases, every further step is most-likely a patch work, to overcome coverage problems with the natural limited view of the initial projection-camera. I like to call it as well PM, but with the idea of a Patch-Manager.

The Projection Manager, is not a tool nor option to find any position with the camera, it manages the cameras and related objects/textures in a certain way. Normally when I get this question to explain the PM, people assume that this will manage the positions/perspective relation of the camera and object(s). This is not the case. In a nutshell, the PM manager supports the repetitive work of rendering, from (new) cameras, additional coverage and opens this ,e.g., in Photoshop. There you work on the render, and perhaps on an Alpha channel to limit the patch area to your needs. Any set of such relation will be in the PM overview. A great tool!

I hope I go enough into depth in the series about Camera Projections, especially with my awarded (... highest award in Cinematography at the International Film-Festival WorldFest Houston) music video. This video clip will be part of a longer inspection of this technique, and the PM will be used here with some very time-saving techniques. I look forward to have these online.

So, you asked about the PM, and I answered with a long photography theme. I did this as we will see how connected, HDRI, Panorama, Camera Projection and Texture-Creation is in 3D scenes are, and that this needs a complete concept. Such a concept is not discussed as whole anywhere else to my knowledge, certainly not in such detail and for CINEMA 4D only ;o)

I have shot and recorded the last fifty days straight, seven days a week, to get one single sub-series alone done, after a long development phase. I’m pretty confident that this will support the quality of a lot of projects.

Again, thanks for asking and please shoot any question that you have here in the forum. I’m happy to share here at Cineversity. :o)

Have a great day

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 28 May 2013 08:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2007-10-15

Dr. Sassi’s,

Thank you for explaining PM.  And thank you for taking time out of your very busy life to answer my PM question.  The explanation you gave in your reply to my original question was brilliant and extremely helpful.  I did understand that PM does not line up the camera as the new C4D Camera Calibrator does, but I guess I have been looking for a PM tutorial that explains Camera Projection.  I have found many PM tutorials, but none of them explain why and what is Patching or coverage rendering and when to use them.  That is where I got lost.  But you did explain it a bit better in your answer, so now I feel I can move on.

Thank you,

Doug

Signature 

Posted: 28 May 2013 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2007-10-15

Dr. Sassis,

Congratulations on your award.  Your music video is very beautiful and relaxing.

Warmest regards,

Doug

Signature 

Posted: 28 May 2013 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2007-10-15

Sorry about the misspell of your name. Dr. Sassi.

Signature 

Posted: 28 May 2013 10:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Doug,

You’re welcome. No worries about my name. ;o) Thanks a lot for the nice words to my award. I like to send things into festivals, it is a good first check if they work.

The patches, I’m happy to try an other way to explain it. If you like…

The target of an camera projection is, to take the perspective distortion out of an image, by projecting it to an similar geometry as the original object was. Then another camera can move to a certain degree around this object. There is a limitation. Let me explain.

Camera mapping is based on the idea, that you merge a 3D view to an 2D image. This freezes the perspective. If there was a square in the scene, and if it was tilted to the camera, it becomes an trapezoid in the 2D picture. If you project that on a flat plane it stays to be a trapezoid. If you rotate now that plane in a way, that it is in a similar angle to the camera as the square was while it was host, the perspective “distortion” will vanish and the square will look like a square again, if you look perpendicular to the plane.
This rotation of the plane allows to “recreate” an undistorted representation of the square, but it comes with an price tag. The more the plane is rotate away from the camera, the more each pixel needs to cover a certain area now. The projection will get worse, the more one rotates this plane. If the plane is 90ยบ to the camera, it can’t be projected anymore, which marks definitely the limitation of the projection. WEll, it starts earlier to become less useable. Again, a projection perpendicular to a plane is preferable, and the more such a surface needs to be tilted aways from the camera, to take the perspective distortion away, the lower the quality becomes.

As an artists, one needs to decide when this quality is too low. Then a second image is needed, this is shot from a different angle.

One orientation is given based on the camera move that the scene needs. Start and end point of that move could be a good starting point for two images for a two camera projection. The second one would be the “patch”, and fills the areas where the surface is to far turned away from the first projection camera.

The best way to get clear about that, is to set up camera projection and go with a second camera to the side of that object, you will see instantly what I have in mind.

Perhaps the examples here
https://plus.google.com/110784099379805584044/videos
help to see more what happens.

Let me know if there is any question, I’m really happy to answer. Camera projection is since 1999 one of my very favorite techniques in 3D. :o)

All the best
Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 28 May 2013 10:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2007-10-15

Dr. Sassi,

Spelled correctly.  Once again, a billion thanks for the explanation and the examples. 

Best to you,

Doug

P.S. Love to hear your laugh. Even my wife giggles when your laughing on one of your tutorials—it has a great vibe.

Signature 

Posted: 28 May 2013 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Doug,

Thanks a lot, that is really a nice post! :o)

Please say hi to her—and sorry that I take so much of you time ;o)

Enjoy your evening

Sassi

Signature 

NEW: