A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

in depth Low Poly Shading tricks
Posted: 17 January 2013 07:16 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2008-05-10

There was a 2012 presentation at Siggraph of a teacher from the Academy of art that presented a Fox that he made in a low poly art style with a great shading technique that I can’t seem to find anywhere - He took the model into bodypaint and separated each face and then auto UV’d the pieces so that each face could be worked on - This would be a good one to do, or if there was a way to find this guys siggraph presentation and post it up on the site that would be great as well - thanks yall

<a >youtube downloader</a>

Posted: 17 January 2013 08:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

You just place a “Explode Deformer” to the object in question, End-size=1, and the rotation to 180ยบ. Create a copy out of it via “Current State to Object”. Select all UV in BodyPaint3D and relax the “mesh” with the needed space. In the moment you have all polygons as single UV polygons, use the UV tag of the “copy” and replace it with the UV tag on the original object. Delete the Explosion Tag and the copy. Done. Perhaps you need the Phong Tag, then “Break the Phong Edge” for these polygons, otherwise the whole work will be useless.

If you would fill in a little bit more why that is useful or something you’d like to have, and why polygon selections/material combination won’t work for you, it might make more sense to take a look into that.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 01 February 2013 08:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2008-05-10

Thanks Sassi - I’ll try that technique and see if how that works out

Posted: 01 February 2013 08:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks Phloptik,

Let me know how it works for you.

Have a great weekend

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 14 February 2013 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2008-05-10

I think I’m just horrible at bodypaint 3d - also I see two kinda of explode deformers, I’m assuming your talking about the “Explosion” deformer and not the “Explosion FX” -

I got through every step except for the relax UV - I really just need to check out a Bodypaint tutorial here - Alright I’m sure a little more noodling around and I’ll get it

baixar musicas

Posted: 14 February 2013 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Phloptik,

Yes the simple version of the Explosion, the one which just disconnects all polygons. BodyPaint 3D is certainly a cool application and I believe pretty much underestimated.

=======

I know it is not very popular to say, but UV editing is a core skill for 3D work - as long as one has to deal with texturing.

=======

The UV edit is not really complicated, but certainly need more than 5 minutes to learn it.

UV is the glue between 2D images and 3D objects. It is a translator between these two worlds. Practically a “twin” of each polygon is “drawn” flat (perhaps distorted) to the image. So the application knows where to put the specific image information on the 3D polygon (—the twins stay connected).

As each image has a different size/resolution, the UV space is measured in 0-1 for u as well for v. Think of the UV space like XY space in Illustrator, After Effects etc. You place the twin Polygons on the canvas and they show then up on the 3D model. All in all a fantastic option to control!

The whole “game” about UV is the idea to direct the positions of these twin polygons—as you might have a lot of polygons on your object.  Take one hour to focus on that theme and you might get closer to the idea, that it is not that complicated.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

‹‹ Octane render      Tutorial frequency ››