A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Tutorial Volume
Posted: 28 December 2012 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2012-02-21

Hi, first of all, let me thank you for providing a great resource with many, many informative tutorials.

I have but one small request. Can there be a standard volume level for all tutorials from now on? For most videos I watch online, I’ll have the volume set to 3 or 4. But for the Sticky Notes tutorial, it’s at 10. It’s not really a big problem except for those times when I forget I had to turn it up that loud, and then I watch some other video and blast my ears.

I’ve noticed this issue for years with tutorials all over the internet, so it’s not just here. But anyway, just thought I’d ask.

Thanks!

Posted: 28 December 2012 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Intaglio,

Thanks for your feedback. I understand that this might have create unnecessarily discomfort. Not nice.

(... for my work only:) My typical way is normally to take a noise print, de-noise the audio track. Handling peak individually and normalize the content is the next step. After that I apply a very low amount of compression* to the sound.  (Sound compression, not file compression, my sound is always “raw” during production)

As I know from my own recording, I start a little bit louder than I end. If possible this becomes treaded, but admittedly not always. As max sound level I keep it below -6db, which I hope follows broadcast standards. I haven’t done this with the earlier ones and some got even recomposed (video and audio). There are many options to screw up sour, sadly enough.

Everyone has his/her own idea about sound, so feedback like yours is certainly appreciated.

I know that some of my friends who even mix for cd production take 0db as max, which I think is dangerous. But to go as low as your experience describes it, means that the noise levels will rise as well, certainly not nice.

Have a great 2013

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]