A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

3D printing tutorials for C4D/ .stl files
Posted: 31 August 2012 05:12 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-01-17

Hi, I’m currently working with a product designer who is keen to see a 3D prototype printed.

I cannot find any video tutorials on creating and optimising models into .stl files in C4D for 3D printing.

Are there plans to make one soon or does anyone know of any?

Many thanks,

Andy

Posted: 08 July 2014 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2012-03-21

I have access to a 3D printer that uses STL files, though most people that print with it are producing files in Rhino3D and sending them to the printer from there (if I recall correctly). I can investigate what it would take do do a tutorial on this. What type of product are you looking at printing? Something with articulating parts, or something that is static? Also, are you designing the model in Cinema 4D, or is someone providing you a file that you’ve imported?

Cheers,
Mike

Posted: 14 July 2014 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-01-17

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply.

Since 2012 we have been printing a variety of 3D outcomes, from character modelling to buildings to designed objects.

I am still using Cinema and a Makerbot to print with. I still have an interesting in gaining insights into optimising 3d models for printing.

If you have any thoughts or insights on the subject, that would be most welcome.

Kind regards,

Andy

Posted: 09 June 2015 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-10-18

Is Maxon going to publish any tutorials for 3D printing from Cinema 4D?
Been scouring the net and have had to just do trial and error from what little I can find.

Posted: 09 June 2015 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi there,

Please mention for these requests the printer-model that you like to use. I have the feeling that the market just really start to gear up.
So far I have written to some companies in the past if they are willing to work on a smooth workflow. With your input I will continue to do so.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 09 June 2015 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2012-10-18

Thank you so much!
I’m using an Airwolf 3D HXD with PLA filament. Have been exporting models as STL files from C4D Studio R14 to Astroprint.com website for slicing. Also have Matter Control on the laptop I’m using for the printer but I understand you can print directly from Astroprint.com. Haven’t tried that yet.

Getting a handle on the correct size (working in mm) and smoothing the geometry without Phong tags are some of the challenges.

I have also exported splines from Illustrator (saved as Illustrator 8 files) and extruded these in Cinema. Mostly seemed to work until I tried a more complicated one.

This web site was helpful:
http://nicklievendag.com/tips-for-modeling-for-3d-printing-with-cinema-4d/

But it would be great to have some dedicated tutorials just for C4D.

Here’s a screen shot of a model I have had problems with.

Posted: 09 June 2015 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks a lot, Ravenwing.

I will have a look into it. Just to be clear, I will not work on tutorials, but I’m certainly interested in smoothing out that pipeline/workflow. I know that many people do it now and perhaps there should be somewhere a forum where users and companies can talk together. Not certain how that will work, e.g., thinking about competition.

Not that I have any clue about your model not working, but it looks like you have N-Gons for the caps on, and make certain the caps are “optimized”, e.g., joint points/vertices. Just a thought—toss it if…

Have a great day!

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 09 June 2015 02:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  406
Joined  2006-01-24

This is an area I’ve been exploring for tutorials as well.

We’ve got a Makerbot here, and for the most part it’s taken everything I’ve thrown at it (via STL). I’m struggling a bit with what I can cover beyond the basic workflow of saving an STL and importing into MakerBot Desktop.

The website you linked is really helpful.

It’d also be great to provide more specifics about the issues you’re running into. What happens when you try to print the model you showed?

Posted: 09 June 2015 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Sounds great, Rick.

I have no intentions to make tutorials about, as I wrote above. But I think it is a wonderful field and a great option to have with Cinema 4D.

I look forward to your results.

Perhaps you include this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXFaeKRF2uU

Have a great day

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 09 June 2015 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Joined  2012-10-18

Thanks so much.
With a model like this, I have Subdivided, Optimized it and made sure the Normals are all aligned. Was there something else I can do?

Posted: 09 June 2015 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2006-01-24

What’s happening when you try to print it?

Posted: 09 June 2015 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Joined  2012-10-18

The top was somewhat irregular in the way the printer plotted the extrusion. I used a solution the company that makes the printer sells to improve adhesion to the bed. But some of the more delicate spirals wanted to lift off. It printed but wasn’t a clean print.

Posted: 09 June 2015 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Joined  2012-10-18

This leaf did print perfectly in PLA.
The splines were made in Illustrator, saved as Illustrator 8 file and extruded in C4D. Phong tag removed and used Subdivide.
Saved as STL file and uploaded to Astroprint.com to slice.

Posted: 23 July 2015 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2006-01-24

Yesterday we published a big batch of 3D Printing tutorials here on Cineversity.

Hopefully they help.