A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Lip sync?
Posted: 12 May 2012 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2012-04-25

Hello,

I’m new to C4D, using R13. Is there a workflow for doing lip sync and if so are there any tuts in the works.

Thanks,
Bob

Posted: 16 May 2012 08:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Bob,

Lip-synch is quite a “hot iron”, as the definitions about that subjects are pretty loosely. The bandwidth can go from a simple Sound Effector/XPresso solution to a phonetic mapped mouth shape.  The problem that I see here is the missing native tool to do exactly something between both extremes.

The typical workflow would be, creating the wanted expressions for each sound, which is of course not simple, as the character might have a individual way of “communicating”. This preparation is done in PoseMorph.  There are several ways to animate from there (like the Driver Tag), but to my knowledge not really something that let you analyze the voice AND expression automatically.

One supportive instrument might be MacPie, to get an idea how those stuff work.

I think that I have certainly not an overview if something new show up on the marked.

=============

So, the short answer is, besides a manual set up, there is no native tool for automatization (sound to movement with precise defined expression/sound differentiation).

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 16 May 2012 09:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2012-04-25

HI Sassi,

Thanks for the reply. I’m not really looking for an automated solution. Is there a way to display a waveform on the timeline. From there it would be easier to keyframe posemorph phonemes using the waveform as a reference.

Bob

Posted: 17 May 2012 12:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

He Bob,

Thanks for clearing your target, that makes it so much easier.

To get the time line window equipped with an audio file representation do the following:

Add an object, e.g., a Null.

If this object is not in the Timeline window, drag it in.

In the TL-Menu>Create>Add Special Tracks>Sound

Then have a look into the Attribute Manager, to load a sound file in that fits to the requirements. Since R13 more formats are possible.

You might check the Time Offset.

If you don’t see the wave-representation, click on the little triangle near the Sound track, that will open it.

I have good results with setting “Markers” to my “key-points” or Beats, to get the animation easier into sync.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]