A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Basic Mograph - how to translate position of clones around a circular shape?
Posted: 28 March 2012 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2012-03-18

I’d like to know what effector / set up to use that would allow me to move the clones in the center of a grid of clones out from the center along the XY plane, yet in all directions of the compass.

I’ve attached a sample R11 scene, but the solution would need to be workable in R10.5.

Thanks for any suggestions

File Attachments
ObjectGrid_move_question.c4d.zip  (File Size: 21KB - Downloads: 210)

Posted: 28 March 2012 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Dave,

The simples way would be to have them on a separate polygon (3x3) and scale the polygon. (Cloner Object>Object>Mode> Object.

I will have a look to the file

Talk to you soon

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 28 March 2012 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2012-03-18

Thanks for your response Sassi - good to see you here again!

To refine my question, I’d like to move those center objects out in all directions, but have them have an effect on those next to them (like using falloff).

What I’m picturing in my mind is as if I gradually pushed an invisible cone (point first) into the center of the grid of clones along the Z axis, and this forced those in the center out in all directions. The more I push the cone, the greater the area of clones that would be effected and moved away from the center, and the larger the ‘clear space’ in the center of the group.

Hope that’s a little clearer.

Thanks again!

Posted: 28 March 2012 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

P.S. I went to an Mac where I had r10 installed, to make certain you get what you have asked for.

I certainly would prefer the method above, as it separates the the parts initially and I can have them pushed out.

One concern that I have is, that I’m not clear about the center one of the 3x3 clones in your circle. Where is that supposed to go?

A more procedural way would be to set the Target Effector to Repel and use a Box as Falloff. So you can pick out some of the clones and adjust with the Effector Distance the way they move.

Do i got the 3x3 at all correct?

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 28 March 2012 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2012-03-18
Dr.Sassi - 28 March 2012 03:50 PM

A more procedural way would be to set the Target Effector to Repel and use a Box as Falloff. So you can pick out some of the clones and adjust with the Effector Distance the way they move.

Do i got the 3x3 at all correct?

I’ll look into the Target Effector. Hope my updated description is helpful in understanding what I’m going after. The objects within the circle just represent the area I’d like ‘cleared’ of objects. I give the Target effector and Repel a try.

thanks Sassi

Posted: 28 March 2012 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

I see, Dave, the 3x3 is only the start point. Sounds like an inverse black hole, which I had as question this week for a TV show, funny enough 10.5 there as well.

I will set something up there.

Yes, I’m here, but I try to focus more and more on specific themes, mainly where I have produced tutorials about, so Patrick can cover fields that he likes for example. Overlapping areas are always a given with this great app of course. I love film and anything camera work, besides VFX :o) 

I will set up a scene that fits more to the last post of yours. With the 3x3 the target effector was my favorite, but I think I will check something else.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 28 March 2012 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2012-03-18

YES! An inverse-black hole!

I’m looking forward to learning from your theme-tutorials again and will have lots of questions there, too. wink

Posted: 28 March 2012 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Joined  2012-03-18

Target effector set to Repel looks good!

If you have another solution for the inverse black hole I’m always interested to see your solutions.

Thanks Sassi!

Posted: 28 March 2012 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Dave,

The idea of the black-hole was pretty much based on some deformers. Setting the points of a grid a little bit different in z towards the middle would allow me to change the position more heavily with a Bulge deformer. If you need more on that—let me know.

However, the problem that I saw with the Target Effector, that it rotated all the clones to a certain degree, and Pitch>Off wasn’t helping with R.H rotation though.

So, I applied the Repel effect first to a Matrix Object. There the little placeholders (the gray cubes) rotate, but with the Inheritance Effector “you” can filter this out, just uncheck the rotation checkbox.
I set the Cloner Object to 169 clones (linear) so the Matrix via Inheritance can create your initial set up. Now the Repel effect can work with only position changes.

You need to find a balance between the Falloff settings (size /spline interface set up) AND the distance setting in the Target Effector. So the intersection of the objects is minimized.

All the best

Sassi

P.S. if you see the red cube isn’t moving at all, move the Taget Effector just a tiny little bit, so the drag origin and the object are not on the same position, and with the same position no idea where to go. ;o)

File Attachments
CV2_r10_drs_12_MGog_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 23KB - Downloads: 237)
 Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 28 March 2012 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Joined  2012-03-18

Thanks very much for the help Sassi.

I’m going to study your solution - it’s a lot deeper (and better) than my fumblings.

You da man!!

Posted: 28 March 2012 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thank you Dave,
You’re welcome.
Enjoy
Sassi

Signature 

NEW: