A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Sound Effector
Posted: 13 March 2012 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-07-08

I am at a location that has slow internet, so I can’t see any of the tutorial videos.
Could anyone give me a simple explanation of how to use the sound effector to drive other effectors’ settings?
For example, how do I use the sound effector to drive the Z-transform of an extrude deformer?

Posted: 14 March 2012 07:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Joined  2010-07-08

Are the moderators still looking at the forum daily?
Thanks in advance!

Posted: 14 March 2012 10:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17

Guess not smile
Sorry I have been out doing some on-site training and have been sloppy with checking the forum.

You need to dive into a little xpresso to get this to work.

Start by dragging the sound effector into the xpresso window.
then add a mograph sample effector.
Connect the object port of the sound effector to the “effector” port of the sample effector node.
you can then connect the strength output from the sample effector to any parameter you want to drive.
Use the range mapper to translate the values from a percentage to whatever value you need.

Posted: 15 March 2012 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi there,

Normally I get an e-mail when someone posted here, currently it has mostly a delay of a day or so. Sorry about the waiting time, I just got the e-mail and I’m right here.

Have a look to the image, is it that what you had in mind: The Transform Space. (I assume the Sound effector sits in your Extrude Deformer.)

Normally Z is considered to be the polygon Normal - if everything is set to default (Node). If the move of the polygons should be directed otherwise that needs to be specified.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 15 March 2012 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17

Lol. I missed the extrude deformer part.
My solution is to drive any parameter.

Posted: 16 March 2012 05:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2010-07-08

Thank you both so much. I need to sharpen up on my skills in that particular area of mograph, the “transform space” setting, and getting correctly what effector goes into what deformer, etc.
Patrick, I tried using the right-click “set driver” and then going to the parameter on the extrude deformer and “set driven”, but it didn’t let me “set driven” on the destination I was trying to use it for. Probably my mistake somewhere. I am definitely going to try and use that Xpresso trick now.

I played around with it some more and got closer to my solution. I can’t wait til I get a little more funds so I can purchase one-on-one training. I would like to focus on mograph, Xpresso, and Thinking Particles. I always seem to understand just enough to get stuck somewhere. wink

Posted: 16 March 2012 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Hoeveler,

If you get stopped while learning, the common mistake is (at least from my point of view) to try to solve this exact point. If you get stopped during learning something, go back to the point where you felt comfortable with the content, and go from there. Ask yourself what you really want to have happen next. If you keep this in mind that everything boils practically down to “The Flow Of Information” as I have mentioned it often, then you should push through most learning barriers. Flow of information, what information is produced and does it become available (in time) to the part I would like to be affected by it, should be always as question in your mind.

If I would have the need to paint black and white, (IF!) then there are two groups of people using C4D. One groups like to have it working, even if a plug in does the trick, and the other group like to understand the “why” it works and build up on that. The second group is the winner—certainly on the long run. So, please keep going and explore, creativity is not possible in a vacuum of information or knowledge. Any mistake you make and realize it as such, is one step forward. ...and yes, there are uncounted steps between black and white!

If you have a point where it won’t work, ask, or (YES!), do a one on one training—Check out the MSA as well.

Have a great weekend

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]