A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Edge Threshhold question
Posted: 13 March 2012 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2010-01-19

I am making some GIF animations and a problem as you may already know is that GIFS dont get a long well with transparency to a certain extent.  What I am having to do is in post clean up the edges of my graphic making them 0 or 255 bit transparency with no inner range otherwise I get a halo around my image.  I was wondering if there was a way to set it up so that my edges do not feather?

Thanks!

Posted: 14 March 2012 10:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17

I think what you are looking for is the “Straight Alpha” option in the render settings.
This will “extend” the object edges a bit to allow you to get a clean edge.

Posted: 16 March 2012 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-07-08

...Just to chime in about using GIFs, they are indeed a limited format, but I’ve actually had one case where they were exactly what I needed. I had a HUGE terrain geometry that needed a texture that would have been WAY too large of a file size for the pixel dimension that I needed, which limited me to using JPEG, GIF, or PNG. When I tried using a JPEG or PNG, because of the compression, I could see artifacts when the camera got too close, whereas GIF was perfect because it uses color limiting to compress the image rather than visible compression. Perfect for a map that only used 6 colors!