A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Combining motion clips when one uses key frame pivots
Posted: 03 November 2022 11:03 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2021-10-07

I’ve got a crab creature “rage” animation as well as a walking animation. I’d like to combine them so that the creature “rages”, then proceeds to walk forward.

The walking animation is an “in place” animation, so I needed to convert it so that the creature moves forward as it walks. I followed the steps in this video to convert the animation so that it walks forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVtxQeHiN8A

I basically created a motion clip of the walking animation, then created a pivot object from the walking animation, then created a keyframe pivot at the end of the frame range and moved the creature to where I wanted it to be. I adjusted where that point was so that the feet weren’t “slipping” as it moved forward. I successfully now have an animation of the creature walking forward.

Where I’m having trouble is combining the animations using motion clips in C4D. If I merge the two projects together, I’ve got three objects: the motion clip of “rage”, the motion clip of “walk”, and then the walk pivot object.

If I drag the walk motion clip after rage in my motion timeline, it successfully transitions from “rage” to “walk” and I can overlap them to make a smoother transition. However, the pivot keyframes don’t move over, so the monster just ends up walking in place.

How can I move the pivot keyframes along with the walking animation when I drag it after “rage” in the motion timeline? Basically I want to preserve the walking forward. Or do I need to re-create new pivot keyframes after combining the two motion clips?

Posted: 03 November 2022 11:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2021-10-07

OK, well I just decided to combine the rage and walking animations first using motions clips, baked them together, then used the pivot key frames to get the monster to walk forward after the rage. So I’ve fixed the issue.

Posted: 04 November 2022 03:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Cool, that this works for you.

Thank you, yngvai, for the update.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]