A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Please be concise in your tutorials
Posted: 04 March 2012 05:28 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-02-09

I appreciate having a wealth of tutorials available about C4D and am sure it is hard work to create these things, but I do have on request which I believe will help improve future tutorials:

Dear instructors, can you please endeavor to be more concise in your tutorials.  I prefer tutorials that don’t go off on tangents, or frequently show me “what not to do.”  I just finished an eight+ minute tutorial about putting indentations on a cup, and at the end of the video the instructor says something along the lines of “this isn’t the best way to do this, especially if you want to make changes and edits later.”  The next video shows, what I assume, is the best practices way to do the job.

Why not just show the best practices first and be done with it?  Or if you want to show alternate ways of doing something, label these videos accordingly as “supplemental material” or “alternate methods”?  A number of the tutorials I’ve watched contain excess information that is off-topic or leads down blind alleys.

As a filmmaker and freelance professional, my time is very precious and limited. No one is paying me to sit and watch tutorials to learn this software. Trying to get up to speed on complex software is time consuming enough without the extra burden of being told, and shown things not to do.  Every time the tutorial goes off on a tangent with extra information and insights, focus is lost and the instructions become less clear.

Everyone needs an editor to cut out the excessive bits of a novel, a movie, and even a tutorial. I’ve paid my $300 professional entry fee so I would like tutorials which have been created with the professional user (and none of us has time to spare), in mind.

Respectfully yours,
Ladd

Posted: 04 March 2012 10:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17

I’m sorry that that series is not to your taste.

Personally I try to put the focus on making sure a user knows why they are making the choices that are being made, rather than following along on rails.

The series was on modeling in general, it’s focus was more on working with the modeling tools rather than the 100% best method for modeling a cup…which there isn’t. So I show options, the first part of the series covered how to create the exact same objects using just generators and then progresses into various ways to deal with polygons.

Modeling in itself is about mistakes, knowing when those mistakes happen and how to compensate is as important a knowing a tool.

Anyway, I will update the description to make the series objective clearer.

Thank you for your feedback.