A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

animated alembic cloth tearing
Posted: 05 October 2022 05:29 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2022-05-12

Hi,

Try to apply a Cloth tag and tear onto an animated alembic cloth imported from CLO standalone, but facing many possible issues:

1. how can I access those polygons from the animated alembic object?
2. how can I still get the animation and apply the Cloth tag and tear simultaneously?

Are these results not possible to make it from this kind of combination?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Douglas

Posted: 05 October 2022 09:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Douglas,

(I have moved this to the Q&A forum, as the Tutorial forum is based on starting a new thread with the Help button below a tutorial to ask questions about the tutorial content.)

There is (to my knowledge) no direct option to convert an Alembic polygon-based animation into a PLA or Point Cache animation; Simultaneously, allow for a tearing process that happens only at the penetration point of the collider object. Alembic is a per frame option (AFAIK), hence the ability to produce new polygons (well, new points and edges) after a tear.

The easiest way to produce a polygon copy is via PoseMorph. Here a single frame (no animation) copy will be the “host,” and the Alembic will be the “point-source”, while the Pose Morph is applied via a Morph-Deformer. This data can then be stored via Cappucino as PLA. (Point Level Animation). This allows disabling the PoseMorph. (file …_01.c4d)

Now we need only to ensure that at the moment, something will tear the fabric apart, the animation date for that part is off, and Cloth/Tear can take over. A Vertex Map is needed here to define the area and timing: Fields are the way to go. (file …_11.c4d)

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]