A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

All About Iterators: 11: - Iterators and Mograph - Part 1
Posted: 30 January 2022 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2022-01-26

Hello.

This serie of tutorial is really amazing and this eleventh video is almost exactly what I need.

Indeed, I’m curently working on an Octopus tentacles rig, and to reproduce several behaviors keeping an easily manipulating rig, I created several chains of bones with different attributes.

Now, I would like to automaticaly link a full chain of 73 bones, to the exact same chain.
That will allow me to use one in spline IK mode with controllers, and to have other atributs on the second one to make it curl, but keep following the first one.

So this is basically the same thing than in this tutorial, but I want copy the PSR of all the bones of a chain to the freez PSR of the other chain to keep it’s PSR free to use.

Unfortunatly, the data node describe in this tutorial seems working only for MoGraph.
So if I put an object list in it, the outputs just give me errors.

I’m a bit trapped, because the retarget Tag make the PSR unusable, and the parent tag force me to link the 73 bones of the 8 tantacles one by one ... so that’s not an option.

Posted: 30 January 2022 09:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi alex,

Rigs work with joints these days, not bones, it looks similar, but the functionality is different! Joints work primarily with rotation, not so much with positions. Setting a position for a lower level joint (hierarchy-wise) will destroy the influence of the previous joint!

Perhaps part 5 takes you to your solution.

Besides that, the Link-List is my preferred node for this work, but less attractive when you have two identically hierarchies, of course.

The key with Link Lists is that the first item in a list has the ID = 0. The highest iteration should always be “count-1”; otherwise, the first object (ID=0), or even more, are used again. Sometimes people might say it doesn’t matter, but that is dangerous information.

As before, using the Freeze data has some advantages, but if you have rotation as well in the mix, your results might destroy the rig.

Just set up something small first. A common mistake that I see repeatedly is to start with very complex setups and try to get it done. An observation that is based on mentoring here and earlier since 2004. Start small in a test scene; do the next step when that works. Seriously.

Enjoy your Sunday!

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]