A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Siggraph 2017 Rewind - Ethan Shaftel: VR in C4D - Making Extravaganza
Posted: 08 November 2021 05:39 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2020-10-06

Which functions do we can use to merge files for a trailer or screenplay?

Posted: 08 November 2021 06:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi yguerrero2010,

Typically you use Final Cut Pro, Premiere, Avid, or any film editing software if I get your question correctly. There is also free editing software available, if not part of the OS. BlackMagicDesign offers a free version of DaVinci, which allows a lot of functionality even in the free version.

To a certain degree, something can be done in Cinema 4D, but it is not ideal. The stage object comes to mind, or the Take System, perhaps even the XRef options.

Again not my suggestion. Why? Because editing needs to be done with the footage easily viewable, while quick changes of the in and out point (per clip) can be made. Good edits of footage can be seen as something that makes it feel as if it is not cut at all. Or a few times in a movie that the edit is obvious as an artistic expression. 

Certainly, a point of discussion if that is a wanted feature. It is an art form in itself, and a bad edit can take everything (!) away from otherwise excellent content hence why it needs its own app to be edited in. My suggestion is to get a book about editing, to get to know what makes a good cut and what is a bad cut. This is something that I find is largely under-estimated, going by things I sometimes see in film festivals.

I edited my first trailer roughly 30 years ago for a feature film, and since then, I feel I have constantly learned to get better. It is not something one can get good at it in one weekend.

First, watch all the footage you have, check out what sequence of clips makes sense, then find points in each footage that allow for a good cut. That can be a cut in motion, for example. Very Simplified: you need to imagine where the audience’s eyes are, and if you can find two matching points or movements of an end and a clip’s start, you are getting closer. There is more to it, much more.

A trailer is edited differently than a feature film. In a trailer, you will give the mood and hint the story, show maybe some famous faces, a teaser will wake up your interest, without giving too much away. At the same time, a feature film follows a narrative structure that allows the story to unfold while always providing enough information to quickly understand what happens right now. This is not needed for a trailer, often not even wanted.

I have read a lot of books about this, and there will be more, for sure. I can’t tell you what is the right one for you, as we all are different.

Going by the theme of VR, as you asked about below the tutorial/presentation, this is quite a new theme and has a lot of new things to acknowledge. But that would also fill a book, and I haven’t found one that addresses this satisfactorily.

For your exploration, my best wishes.

Cheers

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]