A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Structure of larger projects?
Posted: 27 July 2021 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2008-02-17

Hello from Switzerland

I have a larger project to start with… it is an automated conveyor machine…
It can be divided in four main sequences. Now I do not know, how to handle the project.

If I create four c4d-projects (files) it would be easier to handle, but if later something changes in the first sequence, it will be difficult to adapt the following sequences (influenced by the first). I tried to use XREF… does not help much for this problem, having four sequences, each influencing the next one.

So, I suppose, I have to create a single monster file (project)… or is there a better way?
Kind regards
Henri

Posted: 27 July 2021 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Henri,

I certainly think you know what automation means for your specific project, but I have no clue what you need.

Yes, it might be challenging to connect all the dots. But I need to know more to give any usable advice.

Let’s start with this example, here I retrieved the Global Matrix information from an XRef object with several generations.
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/t2cxsTiZlNaIog8Kj4nChaNspKNMHS3epuOn36IMgDi

I have no idea how that will work with a complex scene, and something in the back of my mind says there might be trouble down the road.

This brings up a different idea, why not have a scene that crates only the motion for all. This information is then used as a base for the scene. While objects work as Level of Detail, or something like that.

Cheers

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 27 July 2021 05:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2008-02-17

Hi Dr. Sassi
Your examples help me, to resolve a lot of problems!

I trye to tell you what happened… in this project of automation, a machine executes several steps (sequences). So, I created a file for each sequence. After animating seq_01, I animated seq_02… the end-frame of seq_01 is start-frame of seq_02… etc. … then the customer changed seq_01 a lot… pfff… and I had to adapt the start-frame of seq_02… and seq_03… _04   pfff.

If I had started with a huge single file, containing all sequences this would have been easy…

Having different files, each beginning at frame 0, I have a good overview over one sequence… In a single large file, I get lost, scrolling through all the frames.

So, I tried to find a method, to ‘link’ my c4d-project-files.

Imagine several files ‘connected’… you change something in the first, and all other files adapt grin

xref ?
I think, I am confused… time to sleep.. grin
@U

Posted: 27 July 2021 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Henri,

You’re welcome, but what means connect or change something? Positions, shapes, colors, amount of clones, etc.? Endless options …
Yes, I imagined that “ripple-effect”. I have worked as an architect, and people had always these little changes, which rippled through the whole engineering pipeline. It was always that little change that they saw, but it produced in some cases up to six digits in re-planing costs. I certainly know how you feel.

However, I have no clue about any detail. With this being said, it is a general question, which is either not possible to answer, or I assume something and that makes you the client who changes things a lot. Certainly not ideal. Hence my question.

I’m here and happy to help, but I need something I can work with. General questions can only be answered in general, as mentioned. Typically a few days later the few exceptions and “but” statements needs to be added. Perhaps upsetting you. I don’t do things like that, because it would waste your time. So I’m rather be the one asking questions in hope to get a solution for you.

Cheers

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]