A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Mograph Animation Help Unfolding a Character
Posted: 05 July 2021 10:36 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2020-11-18

Hello guys this is my first post on the forum, it a bit complex to explain the specifics of the animation I am trying to accomplish in Cinema4D. Anyways I was tasked by a friend of mine to create an animation for a creative project for university with a character that has to “unfold” his face, literally like bandages unfolding only to unveil another hidden character below.

1)My initial idea about how to go about this was shrink-wrapping but then I realized it doesn’t give the right results, and I’m not sure how to go about animating it.

2)My second idea was to cut the layers using voronoi fracture in combination with a linear matrix to build bandage-like 3d layers. Which gets the job almost done except those turn out to be layer rings and not bandages. So i figured why not separate the layers on a seam on the back so that all the rings/loops have a cut somewhere so I can use the bend tool to animate the unfolding of the face one by one bandage/strand/ring. Except: cutting the layers that are rings for some reason destroys the model’s texture.

My question is: is the vornoi method the good way to go? Or should I handle it another way? I have both photogrammetry 3d models and pictures of the people that need to have their faces.. well… unfolded xD… And also can someone explain if there is a way to preserve the texture of the model while cutting the back of those voronoi rings? I can send pictures of the problem if anyone can help me solve the issues. I guess there is that and maybe for a more experienced user the challenge to solve a noob’s problem. Anyways thanks in advance guys:)

Posted: 06 July 2021 01:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi marko.ruzin,

What I got so far, you peel a face like many stripes of bandages and unveil the face beneath it. I can’t remember the title, but in the early ‘90s a short movie won the Berlinale Bear in animated Shorts for a stop-motion with a similar effect.

The key is that you can’t see the back of the head, which you can take advantage of. So instead of the stress of one long bandage, like a mummy, it could be several perhaps.

I would place these stripes via the Surface deformer onto the face. Then click a few joints around that area, bind them, smooth the weighting and select all Joints (but the tip) and animate the rotation at once, for all. You can go after that into the Timeline and move some keys.

Since the bandage would not hold its shape, use under the skin deformer a Smoothing Deformer.

To get some variation of the orientation, you can either use the Mesh and set the axis differently each time or rotate the UV mesh from time to time.

If you stick with the Joint setups hierarchy, you might set up a few Pose Library Browser Entries and have the animation done in no time, with more details.

Example:
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/m4RowTd2oYCUqGV0v9FVTcmCO7CL2EktP2oIwgo3wQi

All the best

P.S.: There is a plug-in called “Dépliage”, perhaps that might help? (I don’t have it, but I saw it a few years ago, and I think it would help here.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 06 July 2021 01:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

One more:

Typically I hesitate to suggest this, as it is not the easiest to control, but if the bandages come off quickly, why not.

It is based on the option to use vertices as an IK chain. The limitation is here; it works best when the points are in a row. Like in the example from 0-42, 43-85, and from 86 to 128. So, three IK setups. I left it as 2D IK, as it is otherwise even harder to control. But the setup is fast and small.

Example
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/Rg0bbmqTZFPBN30qXUkqkDcYARVAuYX0RhlMGdcAg2y

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]