A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

fine adjustment of keyframes?
Posted: 07 June 2021 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2020-01-09

Hey all,

How do I make fine adjustments to multiple keyframe values without the initial lag/snapping?

In the attached gif I’m trying to tweak the Yposition of the camera and it leaps before fine adjustment is possible.

Anybody know what setting controls this?

Cheers

P

Posted: 07 June 2021 07:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi patrick.nethercoat,

When you are in the F-Curve, while one keyframe is selected, you could just press the s key, and it should be much finer. Go back to all keys with the h key. Besides, holding down the 2 key should help to zoom in or out where the “mouse” indicator is.

If the “effect” consists, please check the Timeline Menu> Edit> Snap Settings, and check if the F-Curve: Y snapping is on; if so, set it to off.

Besides, the value of a keyframe is given in the Attribute Manager. With the alt/option key down, you can “dial” in small values quickly.

To avoid endless guessing, please make a copy of the file, delete everything but the camera and share it here; I will look.

Cheers

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 07 June 2021 08:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2020-01-09

Hi Dr S,

Thanks for replying. Yes, Y snapping is off. It’s less of a problem when only one key is selected, the real issue is when you want to adjust multiple, so ‘s’ only gets you so close. Manually zooming in really close to one frame makes it possible, but that’s an awful lot of scroll wheel action to get close enough for subtle movement.

I was hoping to be able to disable that distance threshold for movement.

Is there really no way? I’ll have to add it to my list of fcurve improvement requests.

Thanks anyway,

P

Posted: 07 June 2021 08:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the feedback, patrick.nethercoat,

The gif was confusing, as you showed only one key; I was unsure what was really meant. Files work, or they don’t, except when the host system is the center of the trouble. Perhaps try with a new Project-file, just to exclude that the file is corrupt.

It is not about zooming in on one frame (horizontal); it is more about zooming in on the values (vertical).
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/vYOlWtXCqKiHTksBtQB2JtcyHpvx1WIaPfj5B7znrWa

My best guess would be that the Project Scale is off, but guessing is not what I like to do here, hence the file request.

I can’t reproduce this here, hence why I asked for the file. If I can’t reproduce it even with your file, then you need to check with support.

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 09 June 2021 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2020-01-09

Cheers, Dr.

I guess the gif wasn’t clear enough, but there are 2 keys there being moved.

Anyway, it seems it’s an S22 problem. The adjustments are fine in R23. Unfortunately I had to use 22 for this job. I should have mentioned the version in the OP, sorry. I was just assuming there was a setting somewhere I didn’t know about.

Thanks again for your time,

P

Posted: 09 June 2021 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi patrick.nethercoat,

Thanks for the additional information.

I checked S22 here, of course, and I have no problems with fine adjusting the keys. However, I always assume that the question is based on the currently available version. Since I like to work with project files, that is always the first I check.

If you have to work again with this older installation on this specific workplace, perhaps check with the support about this problem.

My best wishes that you will not encounter this at any time.

Cheers

Signature 

NEW: