A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Not Helpful for Noobs
Posted: 04 January 2012 10:17 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2011-05-23

I think much of Cineversity was built around the assumption that the student knows what he needs to learn next. But when you are learning a new and complex field, noobs (like myself), need experienced instructors to TELL US what we should learn next!

For example, I’d like to learn about how to use particle systems. Search for “particle” on CV and you get 77 hits. Now, I have NO IDEA in which order it makes sense to watch those. So many of them are about settings I haven’t even heard of.

Please start assembling well thought-out, sequential playlists for these deep areas. Or rate them on a filterable “complexity/difficulty” scale so that people like me can stick to the basics without having to wade through hours of detail I haven’t a clue what to do with.

Posted: 04 January 2012 10:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17

once you search for a term you can click on the Playlists tab to show playlists that match the search term.
Otherwise you can click the Related Playlists button to show which playlist the videos are associated with.

Finally we are in the middle of producing a new “intro to cinema” series…until then we can see about organizing a playlist based off the old videos.

sorry about the inconvenience, hopefully the 2 suggestions help get you by until we can organize a different solution.

Posted: 05 January 2012 12:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2006-04-04

Hi Volumeboy,

That is why we have a forum as well. We never have assumed that any artist has the same background or interest than an other one. Yes, we design longer series, at least based on the interaction we have in this or other fora. I have gotten over the years a certain impression about the artist using Cineversity here. Of course, who never posted a question is automatically left out. If you have an idea for that—I’m all ears.

Playlist are flexible to create a more tailored approach, to be more flexible. Yes, it is overwhelming, like the areas where C4D is used is pretty much any area where visualization can support. This wide spread field combined with the very different background each artist has, makes it to a challenge. A real Challenge.

The more we know what you need, the more we can build Playlists. The more detailed you give a feedback to that playlist, the better other artists will benefit from it. It is like with tutorials, some like it crisp and short, some like it detailed and long, some in addition with lots of tips. To name only three. Some need each term named precisely, some get annoyed by this approach and would prefer the more natural way of saying e.g., “this” or “that” while pointing with the mouse on it. I have heard all critics in the last eight years producing tutorials. Nothing that is wrong or unsuitable, but everyone has his/her own needs. I’m certainly tried to cover that in the last five years here in CV1.

Playlist are a tool and yes, we like to use it to your advantage.

So, one idea could be I put these 77 into one playlist, would you go through them? Maybe not. Which means you have a target. Let me know, and I will have a look if that makes sense from an education point of view.

You suggested complex or difficult as criteria. Well, if that would be that simple. What is complex for one is difficult for some one else. One knows mathematic, or C++/Java coding and find anything Python boring, for some-one else it is complex and not digestible.

The tools by itself are not complex nor difficult. But well, it is not the use of the tools that makes C4D great, it is their combination. To combine them needs precise knowledge of the tools. Well, and much more.

In a nut shell, the more we know about our users interest and background the better the playlists will be.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

This is one of my old accounts please do not use it for PMs or other communications. I will not receive it. Sorry. Check the avater of teh newer posts in the forum, that should always work nicely.

Posted: 16 January 2012 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2008-11-12

I liked the easy and quick interface of the OLD website, where everything was divided into categories and I could find what I needed without doing a search.

I think a hybrid between the new and old website would be great.
Old website with search capabilities.

Posted: 21 January 2012 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-01-20

>>Finally we are in the middle of producing a new “intro to cinema” series…until then we can see about organizing a playlist based off the old videos.<<

This series would be great, and I look forward to it. I am starting a High School program in Digital Media, and the senior level uses Cinema 4d. I am starting a pilot class on Monday, and desperatly need some place to begin. Until we get either the playlist or the new series, can you suggest some tutorials to start with? I am having no luck with the search engine. Thanks!

Posted: 22 January 2012 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-09-25

Awesome to know you guys are working on some new intro videos.  Any estimate on when this new Intro series will be ready?  I’m teaching a class in C4D this semester and would like to have my students get Cineversity subscriptions, but most of the more introductory tutorials are centered on older C4D releases.  It would be nice to bypass that confusion if I can.

Thanks!
Ben Malouf
Assistant Instructor
School of Media Arts, The University of Montana

Posted: 23 January 2012 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  406
Joined  2006-01-24

Check out the wiki page What to Watch for our beginner playlist recommendations.