A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

3d printing suggestions
Posted: 29 December 2011 08:05 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-12-20

hello

does anyone know how to handle c4d data for 3d printing.

i´ve sent a .stl model to a company and they say it has too many errors and shells.
how can i check my model on my own? does meshlab work?

thanks for any suggestions.

Posted: 29 December 2011 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2006-04-04

Hi extra5,

My first idea is, can you load this file back into a new scene? Is it coming back nicely?

I assume that you have only the geometry left in the scene that is needed for export.

My suggestion is, that you contact the support, if there is something not OK, they should know it. So it can be fixed, ... if it is really based on the STL export.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

This is one of my old accounts please do not use it for PMs or other communications. I will not receive it. Sorry. Check the avater of teh newer posts in the forum, that should always work nicely.

Posted: 17 January 2012 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2012-01-10

Hi there, I have used Cinema 4d a couple of times for 3d printing. You have to make sure that your mesh is closed. So when you work on a solid make nice cuts, extrudes etc. On Materialise.com you can find a free program called “minimagics”. With this you can check for errors. You can also see what the volume of your print is.
One more thing is to make sure that all polygons are facing the same direction.

Good Luck

Erik van Kooten

Posted: 26 January 2012 11:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-12-09

Make sure that you have removed any redundant points, edges or polygons.  That will create errors in the printer output.  Use the STL format for export, as that is the format used by virtually all 3D printers. 

Post your results!

Jay