A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

fcurve identification
Posted: 09 October 2020 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2020-01-09

Hi,

I’m relatively new to C4D so perhaps I’m missing something, but why the hell aren’t the fcurve selection in the list(on the left) and the fcurve (in the right) linked? Which curve is which?
I should be able to select a curve in the left and have it highlit + be able to full-frame it + edit etc.

Is this just not possible?

Thanks for any help here.

P

Posted: 09 October 2020 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Joined  2020-01-09

The plot thickens.

If I open an fcurve editor via rightclicking a co-ordinate keying button > animation > show fcurve, it behaves better(solos each track, rather than hilighting it - ideally I’d like to see them all while hilighting the active one), but if I open the editor with a keyboard shortcut it doesn’t.

What’s the difference?

[edit] the difference is fcurve>show all tracks is on by default with the shortcut.

Posted: 09 October 2020 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi patrick.nethercoat,

Post #0
The Curves typically have the color R, G, B. Always in that sequence, in X, Y, Z; or for scale or for the rotation, then H, P, B.

The selected curve is orange in the default settings. While a key is selected.

At the moment all curves show up, the
Timeline Menu> F-Curve> Show All Tracks (active or not active)
can help to have only the selected on the left, appear in the editor main window.

Typically, but not always, if all nine Curves of the PSR tracks are visible, the Position is often the largest (vertically), followed by rotation-curves, then scale. Exceptions are given, of course, but since you know your animation’s characteristics, it is easier to see with that in mind.

Post #1
You have answered the question already. Just to confirm.
Timeline Menu> F-Curve> Show All Tracks (active or not active)
I have that command as an added icon in my main interface. I’m with you on that. It is not how I like to have it; hence it is one of the few I added to the interface.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 09 October 2020 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2020-01-09

Hi Sassi,

Thanks for replying. I understand your point - it is possible to infer what the fcurve represents by various ways, including hovering over a key, seeing if it represents degrees or measurement, for example, but my query is about fast, efficient workflow.

I come from 20+ years of animating with Softimage, which is a tremendous piece of kit with really fast workflow for animation. C4D feels *REALLY* clunky in comparison. I should be able to select an attribute, immediately see which one it is and tweak it quickly, rather than have to figure out which of the red fcurves is the one I want.

If there are ways to configure the fcurve manager here to help with this workflow I’d love to hear about them.

C4D has some truly amazing qualities, but it’s obvious it was not developed with much input from animators.

Thanks again for answering,
Cheers,

P

Posted: 09 October 2020 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi P.,

Use the Show all Tracks (off) to allow for a single track/curve’s direct select-ability from the “left”.

Comparing 20 years of muscle memory with being new to a different application is certainly worth a longer discussion.

For me, it is easier to train a newbie than someone who is a long time user of something else. This is often underestimated in education. People transfer their idea of learning from their kid’s education (first-time learners). Still, adult/artist education is often to unlearn, learn to stop the old muscle-memory, etc.; Avoid thinking inside only of the tools artist has lost to unlock the new application’s quality. Otherwise, a claustrophobic feeling can be long-lasting.

The common idea is, an application has to fit one’s thinking and workflow. I wouldn’t ask to learn it no matter what, if one can’t let go of the past, it is challenging.
If I may say so, your value is certainly based on your artistic achievements, which need to be seen independently from any application. But often, that seems too connected and motivates to re-create what is lost. With that idea, I hope you find your way to use Cinema 4D for what it is, and not squeeze and stretch it to a Softimage clone. It doesn’t work that way very well. But once you have created a new muscle-memory, I hope it will also support your artistic work in the best way.

However, I understand the idea of a good workflow. I’m happy to hear your ideas. Maxon does so as well, and since long, with uncounted inputs so far:
https://support.maxon.net/index.php

Enjoy.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 09 October 2020 07:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2020-01-09

For sure I understand that the workflow will be different. I don’t expect it to be the same.

I just want it to be fast.

I know we all want everything to be faster, but this is not due to any technical limitation, just UI choices that could be better.

Thanks for the link, I’ll check it out.

Cheers,
P

Posted: 09 October 2020 07:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Sorry to hear that, P.

Perhaps you need to check out other options then. While using Cinema 4D since the mid-‘90s, it was always clear to me: no one at Maxon ever tried to convince anyone to use it when it was clearly not a good fit. (This – I write perhaps every four years one time, when I feel it needs to be addressed, it needs an inquiry into yourself.) You should be happy with your tools.

The value of a tool is the invested time to get good and fast at it. When things don’t really work out for you, perhaps something else will do a better job for you.
I have tried to share my impression that I have while instructing it for a long time, and that coming from another app often seems claustrophobic first, in terms of workflow, options, or whatnot. It takes some time and exploration.

If you stick around: I hope you will achieve the same speed that most artists have who use Cinema 4D for a long to make a living daily with it.

My best wishes.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 09 October 2020 09:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Joined  2020-01-09

Crikey, something’s got lost in translation. You sound so disappointed.

Like I said, C4D is a terrific piece of kit but there are aspects that, with the benefit of outside experience, could be improved somewhat.

Have a great weekend.

P

Posted: 09 October 2020 09:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the reply, P.; Very much appreciated.

C4D Questions here, suggestion to Maxon please.

Example [options]
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/lFgghWdfYyGDvdhxcDv4utsZAM94yFaRO6GkvKgQq7Q

Have a great weekend, as well.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 21 October 2020 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Joined  2020-01-09

Dr. S,

Sorry, I’ve only just clocked that you did this video for me. Thanks so much for your time. I really appreciate it!

Cheers!
P

Posted: 21 October 2020 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for taking the time, P.! Very much appreciated.

I’m grateful for any question, as I have often gotten feedback that people found here what they were searching for already answered.

If there is anything else I can do, let me know, but I can’t change (even I wish sometimes) the application itself. I can only point to options or try to find workarounds/procedures.

My best wishes

Signature 

NEW: