A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

CINEMA 4D + After Effects Integration-Wrap Up
Posted: 30 November 2011 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2006-11-30

Discussion from Cineversity V1:
How does one create a reflection of the movie placed on the movie wall onto the floor? Due to the 5° rotation of the video wall, I ran into problems getting a video to reflect in the proper perspective within AE. I suppose I could duplicate and mirror the video wall within C4D and render out a buffer for that, but I don’t think that will solve the angle/position problem I experience in AE. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Answer from instructor:
Reflections are hard in After Effects; they have to be faked. There are number of tutorials out there on how to fake them (including in our Creating Motion Graphics book, and in this free PDF tutorial: http://www.artbeats.com/assets/written_tutorials/pdfs/faux_reflections.pdf). Perhaps the best solution for serious 3D scenes is to use Zaxwerks Reflector - it means setting up some additional surfaces (made easier with C4D’s compositing tags), but it would be the most robust and realistic.

Posted: 09 January 2012 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-12-26

The basic reflection is rendered as multipass and in AE the blending mode to screen.
This is normal Cinema 4D workflow but the video is different and can be difficult to use as reflection because
it´s not in native reflection channel.

To create a fake reflection you can duplicate your video screen object in Cinema 4D and rotate it 180 degrees and render that separately. This will keep the video plane in same axis and there is no any problems with angle. Just keep the duplicated object as a child object.

You can try to render it separately with object buffer as well.

With the included PDF you can have 2d workflow and it´s not 3d.

Signature 

http://www.kraphik3d.com/wordpress

Posted: 09 January 2012 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2006-04-04

Hi there,

Screen (and blend modes that have screen in it) as blend mode in Ae is not really an option—currently, as long as you use 32bit/c.
(Well, in NUKE for example the screen mode is re-written.)

I know that some people stick with the old integer (8 or16bit/c) workflow, but the limitations are too large, from my point of view.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

This is one of my old accounts please do not use it for PMs or other communications. I will not receive it. Sorry. Check the avater of teh newer posts in the forum, that should always work nicely.