A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Spreading Color effect on a high polygon Model
Posted: 03 August 2020 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  75
Joined  2020-02-07

I am trying to do an animation that a surface absorbs another color and spreads out. So basically surface color changes into another with a spreading effect.

When I try this on a C4D plane surface using emitter with vertex map it works

But when I try to use my own 3D model which it is a clothing and ofcourse have pretty high polygons,  cinema4d freezes especially when I turn the Grow mode on freeze field.  Probably because my 3D model is very detailed and I am trying to work this with vertex map.
So how can I achieve this effect without using a vertex map, like when you have very detailed high polygon Model what could be the other options?

Posted: 03 August 2020 07:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi pinareris,

I have moved this question from the Tutorial Forum to the Q&A. In that specific forum for tutorials, only the Help button below the tutorial should be used for questions directly regarding problems with the content. Thanks for considering this.

A project file would have been helpful in answering your question more precisely. Otherwise, the reply needs to be very general and less useful.

Tags on an object typically reproduce a lot of the information on top of what is in the scene, and with an operation like grow, each point is explored how far it is, and if in the search parameters, the distance will define the value stored. If your cloth has perhaps 20K of points, then all points will be calculated to each other. This is 20K x 19.999K per frame—quite some work.

So, if the cloth has unfortunately not been set up in a lower resolution, to avoid the aid of the Cloth Tag or Subdivision Surfaces, the next best way would be an animated map, whereby the UV needs to be excellent to get this done. Since I do not have a project file here, I can’t tell.

Fields could be animated, to simulate the grow effect.

Perhaps you could create a copy of the object in question, try to undo the subdivision, and create a growing effect on the low res model. This could be baked into a clip and used in a Shader field. This means the calculation fo the high-density mesh is avoided, and only an information transfer is created. This clip can also be blurred in Ae if it is too rough.

I have left the Dropbox upload open from yesterday open, so use it if you like.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 03 August 2020 08:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

P.S.:

Here are two examples with a texture/shader-based idea.

The first one is a simple Gradient Shader animation. I assume that is not sufficient for your set up.

The second file uses a gray image with a Colorizer. In short, the image itself is at least 16/bit and uses one of the oldest texture animations I’m aware of. Whereby black and white as “absolute” value (0 or 100%) define here the start and end of the animation. Any gray-value between these two can be seen as time equals value. That sounds perhaps abstract. Perhaps we go from the end of this setup. A Colorizer works like the Gradient map in Photoshop. The Gradient of the Colorizer translates the given values dark to bright according to the gradient it has. If we now animate this gradient, the effect is like growing (or shrinking).

So draw something, make a copy and blur it. Perhaps layer a gradient on top of that image (20% transparency) and merge all blur again. Use the levels to set black and white, and slightly blur again. Never use 8bit/channel for this at any point in time.

Let me know if that causes any questions, I’m happy to look into it.

Files
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/iZ7aRcR5jmkUV6NZzCMziK1FJRFD08ZpIEpH6qoVafQ

Enjoy.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 03 August 2020 08:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2020-02-07

ups! sorry that I posted on a wrong location.
the thing is I created the clothing in another 3d software and also smoothed in zbrush so lots of polygons, much more then 20K smile so there is no subdivision that I can lower it.  I can bring it a low res but the clothing is not going to drape same.  UV map might work actually. How can I do that?  is there any tutorial on that?
I deleted the scene, avatar and just created file with the dress but it doesnt allow me to upload here , it is more then 4096KB

Posted: 03 August 2020 08:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2020-02-07

just checked your files, looks great but again they are created with vertex map. I am having trouble on there with my 3D object

Posted: 03 August 2020 09:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2020-02-07

I uploaded on here so basically i am trying to change the pink color into blue with that concept
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/pnG9cccih93TWYSFRq1TTfXSv665MImJiYbhVWdeX5v

Posted: 03 August 2020 09:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Reply to #03 #4

No problem, pinareris, that happens quite often. But once a structure is given, any derivation will increase the time to find anything. For me, it is a few clicks, nothing wild, but it leaves a trail.

Un-Subdivide is sometimes possible with external files:
https://help.maxon.net/us/index.html#52911

Putting my mentor hat on:
When I started with 3D in the early ‘90s, things were quite slow, leading to specific behavior and care toward my files, even today. It indeed leads to the love of a good and efficient flow of polygons. The fewer points an object or path (spline) has, the more power each point has. With that, adjustments are faster. The project will stay fast, etc. In some cases, substantial point amounts can kill the project.
Even if the final resolution needs that high density, it should always be done after the low res version was saved somewhere. IF it is low res, it doesn’t take a lot of space, of course.
I saw meshes that were denser than the final render’s pixel resolution, which is total nonsense, of course, and a waste of recourses.

I have understood that the growing effect gives you trouble. If the vertex map gives you trouble, then I would say you need to fix this object, as it really seems overdone. But, yes, that is your call. /mentor hat off.

On the other side, delete the Weight Tag from the file …_11.c4d, and you will see it works in the same way. This set up can be used even in a Layer Shader as a mask. So, all options are open again. Except, I fear with such a dense object, you will have some work with the UV mesh, if it is not used so far.

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 03 August 2020 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Joined  2020-02-07

i understand but i am not sure how i will swap it with the high res after i do with low res

Posted: 03 August 2020 09:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Joined  2020-02-07

hmm didint know it, i actually now tried unsubdivide but not sure if it worked on mine

Posted: 03 August 2020 09:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Reply to #5 #7

Thanks for the file and a well-known cloud service, thanks for that as well.
Unzipped, it is 170MB, which seems really large for just a single dress.

I check several options, nothing that Cinema 4D has will work on it. Even Polygon-reduction isn’t really something that works here.

To swap anything out, more information is needed. Whatever you want to do, if I don’t know it, I will answer without such knowledge.

Here is a straightforward and mesh resolution-independent file.
The Two Nulls (start and end) can be animated and define the start and end of the transition. Furthermore, you can add Turbulence along the way or have it like a sharp border—all animate-able.

File
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/YlJtDEgVva6BxzVQSTsmx0bK2JQeROA0r2QCqhibqa7

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 03 August 2020 09:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Joined  2020-02-07

Thanks alot for trying and for the help. Appreciated. I guess then probably I will just do something with Spherical field and move it around for a color animation till i figure it out how can i achieve this or may be in the future i will try with another much low res clothing

Posted: 04 August 2020 01:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

I had hoped to get more information before I share more, pinareris.

Here is is a spray solution with a little trick. The soaking into the fabric is not simple, but if this would work for you, great.
The shader that I use here is called Proximal. It uses the information created by the Emitter version you had in the file: Standard Emitter. Since this doesn’t allow for a lot of refinement, I used the Tracer here. So the dye sticks on the fabric. (Hence why I asked if it is animated since I got no reply to that, I stick with static.)

The idea is to start spraying and slowly increase the diameter of the paint on the fabric. This increases, as well as the new, sprayed dye, but I think the more that is going on, the less noticeable it is. After a while, the complete fabric is sprayed and soaked. In other words, has changed the color completely.

I have used here a Proxy of the dress, so the file size is acceptable, and your work is not shared, just a very low res version of it. (Use Instant Mesh; after Cloth, Volume Builder, Volume Mesher.)

Example file and preview sequence (10fps)
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/QTUqFKfTlmBgot7AWDHRI6tHPfk48ywcF6iuFlvLIJW

Enjoy

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 04 August 2020 02:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Joined  2020-02-07

oh wow! great! I will work on this,  and love how you did the animation actually as well smile that looks awesome on the video.

Posted: 04 August 2020 02:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the feedback, pinareris, you’re very welcome.

Let me know if you have any question, I’m happy to look into it.

Cheers.

Signature 

NEW:

‹‹ Rotate Tool View      track ball issues... ››