A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Self-Building Roman Pillar, Part 05: Additional Animated Elements
Posted: 29 July 2020 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2020-07-09

Hello,

I’m having a hard time understanding how Effectors work, and why they wouldn’t/don’t work in the same way as the video.

I’m trying to offset the animation using the technique at the timecode 2:48, but it’s not working in the same way. 

Is it because I’m not using a MoSpline?

Do I need to use a Plain Effector and use a fall off of some sort?

I’m trying to wrap my head around the workflow, but it’s definitely going to take some time. wink

I’ve attached my scene file.

THANK YOU FOR THE TIME!!!

sincerely.

File Attachments
Pillar Build Up B v01.zip  (File Size: 297KB - Downloads: 210)

Posted: 29 July 2020 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Samir,

Thanks for the time reference, which makes it so much easier to answer.

Here is your file back:
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/t5gQbkDRy4bCjvL9SNhycszzV61HRXv6slWlT0cf4Eq

There are two things, first the obvious: There was no Step Effector in your scene.

The second part is not that obvious, and I get that often: The Clone Object> Object> Instance Mode was set to Multi-Instance. This means that the Cloner will produce a single clone, and every other clone in the scene will be a twin of this. There is no difference in animation. If you set it back to default (Instance), it will show the animation according to the Step Effector’s keyframe offset.

Effectors typically change the information each clone receives initially from the Cloner. The critical question is, what information is provided from the clone at its current state/position, etc., and what data is used from it to do what, based on the Effector’s function and setting, including Falloff/Fields.
So the old: “what do I have, what do I want and what do I get” game.

Since each Effector has a different purpose, it would be impossible to give a full idea about, without getting nearly to the amount of information provided in tutorials or the manual. My short answer is “follow the money (AKA information!)”.
You will see that this kind of inquiry of your set up will increase your knowledge about hem much faster than just memorize it.

My best wishes

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 29 July 2020 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2020-07-09

hahaha..  yes.  I must have deleted the Step effector before saving.

Ok.  makes sense.  I ran into the Multi-Instance problem one time before.  I tried to make a cloner editable with multiple instances and only the original geo was visible.  Somehow I figured it out, but I couldn’t connect the dots this time around.

But now I understand. and it’s stored in the metal library…

Thank you sir!!  Your time and knowledge are greatly appreciated.

Until the next time…  take care.

Posted: 29 July 2020 08:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the kind feedback, Samir, you’re welcome.

It is easy to get lost in the number of options, and I wouldn’t even say that I will never create something similar. It happens.

But we all are getting better every day.

Let me know if there is anything else, I’m happy to look into it.

Cheers

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]