A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Modeling a simple button
Posted: 18 July 2020 11:36 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  75
Joined  2020-02-07

I am kinda new modeling in cinema4d and trying to create this simple button. But having trouble to give that round bump shape. I
I have been looking tutorials on modeling buttons in C4d but couldn’t see yet. Any suggestions?
Thank

Posted: 19 July 2020 12:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi pinareris,

Would it be something like this?
Does the backside need to be closed?
Is the roundness sufficient?

Example file
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/Mdj1irorEcVdkxU9IhFcbw2S88IuqLeWMhytvXFzb5K

If so, I can record a short run down and share it later this evening.

Cheers

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 19 July 2020 01:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2020-02-07

Hi Sassi
Thanks for the reply. yes it something close but not exactly. That outer round shape needs to be larger, thats where I am having trouble to make it. I attached some images to explain better. Like that red round area needs to be larger and yes back is closed

Posted: 19 July 2020 01:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2020-02-07

ups! sorry looks like i forgot to add another image to explain. that red round area is larger

Posted: 19 July 2020 01:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2020-02-07

I actually also found 3d shape of it, but I would like to learn how make the buttons so thanks alot for recording a video of it.

But basically this is how it looks from different views. Looks like in this example, back is the same as front but in real life sometimes back is flat as well.

Posted: 19 July 2020 04:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi pinareris,
Thanks for the reference. My target here is not to deliver here enough information so you can start modeling your own.
Modeling is not about how to do a button or a car, etc. Modeling is quite different. First of all, there is no one way to do things. Then there is not anything that would be considered good or bad quality by itself. It always depends on your target. If you want to fill a street shot with many buttons and need 5 million buttons, you will consider a different model to be more useful than a button that will be in a “Close Up” shot in 4K or even 8K.
Extreme examples, but I guess they work to make a point.
Besides that, there is a question of how much time do you have to get it done? There are so many variables that I think about modeling in terms of playing chess, you need to be able to look many steps ahead.
On the other hand, every model done fills your creative library, and every “mistake” will be an experience that will pay off one day.

Long story short: here is an essential series I would like to suggest:
https://www.cineversity.com/vidplaylist/modeling_101_-_pat/
It is one way of doing things, and there are many.

Here is the model, based on the image, and a short video. It is sped up, but you can download it and use it for your private needs in any way you want, slowed down, or step by step.

There are two models in it, the first one was to explore a possible way, the second one was the presented button in the clip.
The model in post #1 was based on a different start, faster, and less precise, hence my question.
Files: (video [silent], scene files)
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/ekdbQyA8a4DYGRydvi2Ytg4WdpX4JAyswLVewfPnwB2

Enjoy the series.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 19 July 2020 05:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2020-02-07

Hi Sassi for the reply. I will check all those links that you shared. I appreciated!

The things is I am actually 3D clothing designer so in Cinema4d what I need to learn is very specific. Like buttons, zippers, D-rings, snaps.. etc.. And it has been very difficult to find tutorials regarding on those. Today I have been on internet and searching, watching more then 10 hours before I posted here smile I couldn’t find anywhere how I can give that large round shape to a button. Believe me I watched so many tutorials today smile If I learn that, probably I can do any other buttons. So anyways, thanks alot again for the quick replies. I will check all those links. Have a great evening.

Posted: 19 July 2020 05:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Joined  2020-02-07

Just checked your video, yes! exactly what I was looking for, thanks alot!! I will watch in slow motion.

Posted: 19 July 2020 06:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the reply, pinareris.

There might be a lot of content on the web, and all kinds of qualities needed. (I do not mean it in a derogatory way, just as mentioned above, it depends.)
To find exactly what you might be possible, but the search time to get exactly how a zipper is done might be a long search, to get (again) something that goes exactly along with your needs.

What I try to say is, it might be easier to go through the series that I have suggested, and see the tools in action, to get an idea of how a certain shape could be done.
What I typically suggest during beginner hands-on training is the following, where ever you are, there is certainly something that has a shape. How is that shape produced? Even a stone in the desert is kind of a product of some process. wink Seriously, if you take a look at the Lathe tool, it produces something that could be a button. Then you have the Sweep object, which could create part of a safety pin or a belt-buckle. All those objects simulate something from real life. Even it wasn’t done that way, like a soda can created by the Lath. So, where ever you are, that game can be played. How was it produced, and what method would I chose in Cinema 4D to build it. Training everywhere. … and it works.

Then you have box modeling. Which typically works with the Subdivision Surface. [SDS] The key here is to understand that each part of the box will pull on the model when brought into the SDS. Which means, some parts are just there to support the pull or prevent it.

… and then there is the Sculpting tool, which can create nearly everything organic, or can use an image patter to even simulate a zipper pattern.

The whole world is certainly modeled in one way or another these days. With this huge variety, there is a lot available, in terms of models and training, as well as information, but I’m not convinced that I find something faster that is exactly how I like to have it, than the time needed to model it. There are exceptions, like a perfect human model with all organs and bones, etc. but that is typically out of my price range, without a project.

Let me know if you have some other parts to discuss.

My best wishes

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 19 July 2020 06:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Joined  2020-02-07

Yes! I totally get what you mean but I guess after I learn to use some basic tools in a software, I am more project base learner person. I learn the tools when I am doing a project that I am interested doing it. There are so many tutorials but looks like it is difficult to find tutorials regarding on those subjects in cinema4d.

Posted: 19 July 2020 05:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the reply, pinareris.

Yes, there are many ways to learn. Each has its advantage but also downsides. Since education in this field is my interest, I like to categorize it.

Since I write here in a forum, I like to share some thoughts about this, with everyone reading along. Mentoring …

The main element for success is either motivation or necessity. Both lead to different results.

Motivation often leads to learning before the project starts, and necessity is, as you like it based on the current needs of the project.

Nothing wrong with either. But one needs to be aware of the effects each has.

Let me go step back. There are roughly 1500 essential options/functions/tools in Cinema 4D. Each provides support for one’s project. Which could also be seen as a direct purpose function.
Then there is the combination of a few, also based on their function and logically connected.
However, the full potential starts, when anything that is given is creatively combined. Creative means to me that it is not a logical connection, rather a connection done that might look later on logically. I hope I’m not too short here of delivering that point. Creative solutions become procedurals more often than not.

So, with these three layers, we can locate where each of the ideas on how to learn Cinema 4D will be. We get already very far with level one, more so with two, and with layer number three, the sky is the limit.

The more we know, the more we can imagine what we could do, which is not really given with the learning it during a project (given a deadline) idea.

Creativity is based on exploration, failure, and ignoring rules. Something that can’t be copied, nor taught. Which means there is a limit given.

The main point that I like to make is the following: Each project is based on the skills to make it happen based on the tools (the “engineering” part), as well as on the ideas we have, (the artistic portion). IF we know what we need, the first is mainly needed; if we explore a scene to express what we like our audience should experience, the second one is in the foreground. Each depends on each other, missing one limits the quality of the work. (Not knowing a tool, means to not taking advantage of it.)

Hence my suggestion to get to know one’s tools as much as possible so that knowledge supports the art. However, the more clear we can see the layers and dependencies, the better we can tailor the mix that suits our very own needs. This is a decision that will carry one much faster to the individual goals than anything else, and it is each time a unique mix. No one can decide that for anyone.

My best wishes

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 19 July 2020 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Joined  2020-02-07

I was just practicing with your recording, very interesting way to give that round shape. Very cool. I need to practice little bit more on that part to give good nice round shape like you did, but after we done with that part, do you think another possibility making the holes with boole and then turn into an editable polygon object?

Posted: 19 July 2020 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi pinareris,

Nice that you got something out of it. Thanks for the feedback. It is certainly a lot crammed into my one minute format.

Not to sound too much of a modeling snob, but Boole is not really the cleanest way to get a nice flow of polygons (Which is the target and pleasure of a good model). Boole is an option, and the quality depends highly on your preparation. If you like to smooth things out after that, you might be in for a surprise. (Not very often a good one). Boole, while round with bevel, will more often than not create undesired results.

We have a series here on Cineversity, dedicated to holes. I recorded it after one large company asked for hands-on training about it. I can’t even remember if I even remotely mentioned Boole at all that day. It is not on my mind when I think about clean models.
https://www.cineversity.com/vidplaytut/industrial_modeling_-_holes_part_01

What I do would suggest, if you need something like that, Volume Modeling. It is simple and easy, very robust, and changes can be done without losing the level of quality one had. Also, here, it has some limitations, but it out-weights the enormous power it has easily. The main downside might be that its ease doesn’t allow you to grow your experience in modeling a lot, as it is not really a requirement. However, it is often paid for the received ease with a high polygon count.

Introduction
https://www.cineversity.com/vidplaylist/cinema_4d_volumes_reference_series_volume_builder/cinema_4d_volumes_reference_series_volume_builder_sdf_mode_-_main_attribute

Example:
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/7Lws3VVuHKnwaO5QuwDHqD75CPbKtUVMy0B1T6uBR3k
Explore the Volume Builder> Voxel Size, check 2cm or 4cm for example.

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 19 July 2020 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Joined  2020-02-07

yes! actually i did after my post on here and the outcome wasnt too pleasant. cool, i will check out those links
thanks!!

Posted: 19 July 2020 08:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the feedback, pinareris, very much appreciated.

Every tool has its value and strength. But also, perhaps each has a downside. Another layer in the complexity of modeling. But I guess we have made good progress so far.

ENJOY

Signature 

NEW: