A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Axis aligning
Posted: 23 June 2020 04:38 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  98
Joined  2018-05-13

Hello Sassi,

Hope you are going well. I am trying to achieve two tasks in the scene file below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j16zhfq1oudtowv/aligning.c4d?dl=1

1) Is there a way to orient the axis center of the tetrahedron to match the orientation of the selected point? If you switch between Model mode and Point mode you will see the difference. I want the object axis of the tetrahedron to match the axis orientation (rotation) of the selected point. I have played with the Axis Center tool but cannot get the desired result.

2) How can I clone a tetrahedron to each face of an octahedron so that the “base” of each tetrahedron is aligned with each polygon face, so it creates a star tetrahedron? I have looked at the Cloner in Object mode set to Polygon center, but cannot get the tetrahedrons to align. I want to animate 8 tetrahedrons expanding away from each face of the octahedron, like the single tetrahedron in the scene file, but have all 8 properly aligned.

Thanks for any help.

-David

Posted: 23 June 2020 05:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi David,

I’m not convinced that a single point is sufficient for the current tool. It always says points, plural.
In this case, I would select the opposite Polygon and set this to Normal direction. Then use the Snapping and move the Object axis to the point (Axis Modification option enabled).
For a while, the point normal is even an option to be in the view settings. Perhaps it is time to ask for an update.

The placement of the Tetra is a little bit tricky, but please have a look.
Project file
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/EVJzr68rLTVhS4uJYuvhLUJBDvi1wY48SQ8Bk8A7QEM

My best wishes

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 23 June 2020 06:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  98
Joined  2018-05-13

Thanks for your reply Sassi. I get your suggestion to use the opposing polygon as a better place to start.

Interesting to see the Plain effector perform the transforms to get the result. This is what I was experimenting with the Cloner’s native transform options to rotate each tetrahedron but with no success.

In fact setting the Plain effector’s pitch rotation to -270, thus pointing the tetras inwards, creates a Octahemioctahedron! I am amazed how the platonic solids are the foundation of so many higher level forms.

But as always it’s enlightening to see your guidance. Where would Cineversity be without you?...

Kind regards,
David

Posted: 23 June 2020 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Thank you very much, David, your feedback is, as usual, highly appreciated.

The two-step adjustment, first a little bit with the Cloner, then fine-tuned with the Plain Effector circumvents the rotated axis’s problems. (Rotations Orders). Like starting fresh with the Plain Effector while the main orientation is given.
I started with a sphere to see where it is going with zero adjustments. Placed on half of it a material (with a selection). This helped to understand the sphere was equally placed each time. In return, this allowed me to get the pole of the sphere, pointing to the tip each time.

From there, it was easy to use the Plain Effector for the final adjustments.

Thanks for sharing your further explorations. Always fun to see your ideas.

My best wishes.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]