A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Motion Tracking & Object Tracking inside Cinema 4D: Tracking a difficult feature of the object
Posted: 17 April 2020 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2019-09-11

Once I create a 3D solve of the motion tracker, I can no longer navigate inside the perspective view or change the angle of cameras in the other views.  Also, for the object tracking section, when I select and then hide all auto keyframes in the graph view, it doesn’t hide the keyframes in the perspective view.  Then when I right click in the perspective window, I don’t get the option to “create user track here”.  the only way any of this works is by completely deleting the motion Tracker and starting all over again loading in the footage, etc.  It won’t let me do these steps to track the object after the camera motion has been tracked.

Posted: 17 April 2020 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi BKosisky,

Sorry, you are not happy about the content.

Typically there are many possibilities to create training. The same amount can be seen in the variety of artists who use them. Which creates a puzzle that is not solvable within a single video.

If I focus for a moment only on the Tracking training that I have seen in the past two decades, I would say half of them drove me nuts. The other half was splendid. If I had seen them in a different sequence, I would have, though otherwise. Will say any artist learning is, of course, changing. What needed to be said three times in the first run might need only one time for the refresher, and later on, perhaps a single word triggers the memory.

Motion Tracking, based on my own teachings, is not a simple track that point and done. It has many options to be screwed up. So, to go over it many times and point out differences, even small might be crucial to know.

I know that the author has researched his content, and since we have the developer of this application in the coding team, the given information can be seen as really first-hand knowledge. I know the developer for 16 years and saw his first approaches in London in 2005 to develop this application. He is very passionate about it. I mention all of this because I hope that passion will be inherited instead of leaving you with frustration.
Of course, there is always an update possible in the future, new ideas, new tech, etc. If you need to have, your voice heard, please use the Support at Maxon and create a suggestion. Maxon loves input.
https://www.maxon.net/en/support-center

The problem with the camera is easy to fix, I just watched the clip again and tracked a new scene (I never answer those questions from memory, as things might change):
Call up a new camera and set it active (Object Manager, little-square, checked), and chose the Projection>Perspective or whatever you need.

(While the Motion tracker Object is selected) To add a new manual Tracker: Main Menu> Tracker> 2D Track [should be active]
Now a right mouse click will give you the fly-out menu to add a new manual tracker.

In the Attribute Manager> 2D Tracking. Manual Tracking, you should see the new manual trackers. These need to be Tracked.

I hope that helps, and again sorry that you have a frustrating start with this. The Tracker by itself is great, and I hope you give it a little bit more time.

In a nutshell, what is active or not defines what can be done or not.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 17 April 2020 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2019-09-11

Thank you for your reply.  I apologize for the frustration.
You’re never really sure if it’s something you’re doing wrong or the difference between different versions of C4D, etc.  But there were a few instances where the video would show navigation or some other function and it would not act the same way on my software.

Posted: 17 April 2020 07:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re very welcome, BKosisky, thanks for your reply.

Yes, I understand what you are experiencing. Sorry if I didn’t have had addressed this point more carefully.

Things constantly change, and some parts are mandatory for the change, others might be optional. The idea is always that things improve. This is a mix of subjective and “objective” points of view. On the other hand, “no one is an island”, and apps depend on their host OS and hardware. A running target in the same way.
I certainly place my input for anything new, mostly from an educational point of view, especially when changes to the GUI are in the mix. It often kills otherwise the connection to the training material.

I know it will not help you at all to read through that right now, but I wanted you to know that nothing that you experience right now, is based on careless behavior.

The other side of the coin is that it is easy to rely on muscle memory when doing training, a reason why I learn (on average) a new application per month, to keep this “starter” feeling fresh. Besides, for any question, I work practically on it, as mentioned. Answering from memory, while knowing all is changing, seems un-informed.

So, after all that, my tip, based on many thousands of tutorials that I have watched: At the moment, frustrations come up, and you have trust in the author, go back to the point where you felt well. The mechanics of watching a tutorial is often accompanied by the idea, I see it, I understand it, and it should move on faster, based on that. At this moment, there might be a single mouse click (that is missed) or a term (that is not fully understood) or just a sequence of actions (that is out of order in one’s memory). Whatever it is, that creates a black hole in one’s knowledge. This will suck all the energy in it. After a few minutes, frustration starts. During that frustration, the idea is formed how it should be presented instead. This is a request that something outside of you needs to be changed. (Which might be a correct assessment). However, that change might not happen quickly, so you hit a dead-end for now.

So, going back a few minutes should often do the trick. If not, we are here to help. I hope I made clear that I know this feeling all too well.  I understand the resulting frustration. All I can do is to try to patch (here in the forum) what time and change have contributed to produce this feeling.

Again, sorry about the trouble you encounter.

My best wishes, stay safe, stay healthy.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]