A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

How to select groups faster in the viewport?
Posted: 19 November 2019 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2016-09-15

Currently when I select an object in viewport it doesn’t select the group but rather the individual object. So I have to go to the object manager to select the group. This gets tedious very fast if you have many grouped objects in the viewport.

Is there a faster way to do this?

In Maya, I can press the up arrow and traverse the hierarchy. Anything similar in Cinema?

Posted: 19 November 2019 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi zulu85,

I assume you went through this series already:
https://www.cineversity.com/vidplaytut/a_cinema_4d_primer_for_maya_artists_selecting_objects_and_components

Perhaps another entry for the suggestions option of Maxon? It is a request from Maya users already, but probably that a Shift-Click on the objects is so simple that other suggestions had more priority. Maybe your 1+ will push it higher on the to-do list. I have no idea if this is a patent hold by Autodesk that prevents this option elsewhere.)

As long as the mouse indicator is in the Editor view, there is, so far, I have researched it, no option like this at the moment (I searched mainly for a python script.)

• Typically you can select multiple objects with Shift-Key and click. Besides, the Control-Click on the object will give you the list of objects at the mouse indicators position.

• If you have selected the Parent, you could use the OM> Edit> Select-Children Command (Perhaps apply a short cut for the Command)

• If you have clicked on a single object in the Object Manager, then the up and down arrows work. While holding Shift, you can increase the group; eventually, you have to start from the top to get all.

• If all the objects of a group are on a specific Layer, that Layer can be used to select all objects “wearing” that label.

• Several objects can be selected at once while they are part of a single Selection Object. Whereby these objects can be all over the place or grouped or even mixed.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]