A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Motion Tracking & Object Tracking inside Cinema 4D: Tracking the Survey shot Basic Camera Tracking
Posted: 12 December 2018 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2016-11-18

Sadly the Stop of aligning the track points with the world grid by hand doesn’t work for me, I can’t rotate the Motion Tracker Object at all, R20 is the release. What to do?

Posted: 13 December 2018 02:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi philmaron,

I would go with the tools available for this task, as in “Planar Constrain” for example, of course other constrains as well, wherever they fit. I assume the suggestion in the tutorial was for view convenience of the quick track and not suggested for the final work on the main scene.

To create the manual rotation as suggested for the “survey shot”, you might go this route:
Place the Motion Tracker Object under a Null and rotate the Null. I’m not advising to do so.
If you use then a Constrain, it will use the Null as world system, etc,

Similar to the Null rotation, the rotation of the Motion Tracker in previous versions to R20, the Axis of a constrain would be wrong - if the system would have been rotated and then “calibrated”. Again and just to be clear, I do not critique the content of the tutorial here, as it covers the quick analysis of a given lens only.

I have set up, several tracking scenes, as Full Solve, as well as manual solve, in each case the system was locked into the given solve. R20 in each case.
With the Null on top you leave the data untouched and the orientation is given. But any addition step based on the tracking date would be not advised.

If you work on a Survey shot, the Lens distortion should be included, as distortion moves the “pattern” in the image in a different speed, which places them all the time like a running target. To have a proper lens profile for the used lens and focus distance (if the lens breathes) will allow for a correct survey to get the Lens data. IF the focus length and the distance to the lens chart differs , set the focus point as in the shot and stop down to get a sharp image. If the lens has no breathing that step can be ignored.

If you have any other question, please let me know.

Enjoy your project

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]