A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Leaves blowing in the Wind
Posted: 16 June 2016 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2016-04-25

Can anyone tell me why my leaves keep crumpling together like paper?
I am trying to have a bunch of leaves flying in the wind whimsically, so I used a target with a wind effector on each leaf to float around a path, but I am having two problems with this technique.
1: When I want to make a bunch of leaves the dynamics are crashing my computer to simulate the motion.
2:The leaves keep crumpling together, and I want them to bounce off each other like they would in a real world situation.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong with this?

File Attachments
Leaf flying with wind.c4d.zip  (File Size: 141KB - Downloads: 265)

Posted: 16 June 2016 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi JessWThomas,

Interesting approach to give each leaf its own “wind-machine”

I have made some adjustments, and certainly the Plane segment from 20x20 down to 3x3, might help a lot.

Perhaps if really needed, cache the whole scene (dynamics) and use on the results a SubDivisionSurface [HyperNURBS].

I have made a little one minute clip, to be certain you can see it as I did. :o) I hope that is more to your liking.

The set up here is a little bit based on “intuitive’ things, as in dynamics all works as one (Butterfly/Storm—Chaos kinda thing.) So, I hope the helps to get closer to your target.

All the best

Please have a look at this clip )you can download it)

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/XO6p6KfpL0Ny3ND6BeorW60Spyr2H8as935nAmPYMc5?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

File Attachments
CV2_r17_drs_16_DYfl_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 224KB - Downloads: 329)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 16 June 2016 08:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2016-04-25

This works a lot better! Thank you
I am going to play around with it some more to make them all blow away more. Traveling away from the camera, sort of on a path.

Posted: 16 June 2016 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the feedback, JessWThomas,

I’m certain if we would sit together at the screen we could find more precisiely what you are after. I get an impression of what I read and perhaps what I guess it should be. I’m always certain that I will only support it - but the final artistic expression might be trickier to find :o)

I hope you find the setting that are closer to your liking.

Perhaps add some of the Simulate>Particles>Particle “Forces fields”, e.g. Turbulence—and set up the Falloff to have a more specific influence.

My best wishes

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]