A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

VR Object movies
Posted: 23 April 2016 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2007-01-27

Hi,

For a client I am investigating the production of VR object movies. The have shown me work originating from Keyshot VR plugin but I remembered that Cinema had some options for Object VR movies as well.

No I have done some testing but it seems there are some things broken?

First of all when I activate the physical renderer and render a QTVR Object movie, it still picks the standard renderer (as I can see by not one renderbucket but my general 24 grid of buckets).

Also saving for intermediat and VR still does not save out individual frames but just two QT movies. The object movies which can no longer be played even by Apple’s Quicktime player.

So my questions:

- Is there a bug preventing the saving of single frames from the QTVR Object option?
- Is the physical renderer not active while rendering out VR movies?
- is there a script somewhere that would let me set the same options as the QTVR settings so that I could save out an object VR with individual frames manually and process them further?

Albert

Signature 

ALBERT KIEFER
visual designer

Posted: 23 April 2016 04:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Albert,

When Apple released the QTVR Studio in the mid ‘90s it was a great product, and certainly got me started on shooting panoramas. (Mostly with a 3Chip CCD video camera, as film [analog] was not really nice to work with)|
The QTVR Model option was pretty much the reverse shot of a panorama, instead of a shooting that generates images from a “Nodal Point” (Point of view), it shoots that point where the object sits, (Point of interest). These images where then given a XY position in an internal matrix and while moving the mouse of the “movie” it presented an image that would fit in the direction (closely) to the one the movement started. The illusion of having the object under rotational (and zoom-) control is given.

This is exactly what you get from C4D, even 22 years after the release of QTVR Studio. The point you have to acknowledge is, that QT-X will have no clue about, and converts it into a linear sequential movie. No interaction.
If you open this Cinema 4D generated file with the Quick Time 7 Pro Player: All is fine and works.

The options in the retired QTVR Studio were even greater and allowed for many other interactivity. An implementation in Marcomedia’s Director back then was easy and allowed to write it out as a shockwave format with even more interactivity.

I guess that is not what I would suggest these days. Even Apple has retired not only the application, but also all documents. If you like to read them, you need to check this “hidden link” ;o)
https://developer.apple.com/legacy/library/documentation/QuickTime/InsideQT_QTVR/0Preface/QTVR-preface.html

===

Try to get the one in charge for the web-design in a meeting, and ask him/her. They might have a better idea anyway, and to force them into something new (if) seems only to waste time, motivation and energy, if there is no driving reason for it.

I have attached a simple test file, just rendered from C4D with no effort. Quick Time 7 Pro is needed.

===

Today, I guess, the typically way to do it is per “draggable png”.  There are “wordpress” plug-ins available or other scripts. Certainly based on Image sequences as before in the last two decades ;o)  (Except the time with VRML [etc] and perhaps the use of 3D game engines).
Just go to sites/pages where you find a 360º interactive view, and use the RMC: “Inspect” [see images]. I did this to see what companies use these days. I haven’t typed any HTML code since 15+ years and I won’t start again. Not my interest anymore. So, I’m certainly not at all a consultant here, far from that, but I know how to research sites, that is not a big secret to do. :o)

All the best

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/NwXehdP3zCGk0CUFRmhGCxg7UT3KgsaV0CMr56OtqRN?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 24 April 2016 07:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2007-01-27

Hello Sassi,

Thanks for your reply!

I fully understand the QTVR functions and I also understand that it has been deprecated.
What I would hope is to have the functionality behind the object movie in C4D to automate a writing out of all the images sequentially and package them in an html5 wrapper.

This is basically what Keyshot with the VR module (1000 euros) does. With some nice touches like dampening the image sequence when click dragging and releasing the mouse or swipe gesture.

Since Cinma still has this feature to write object movis I was hoping to have that option just generate the sequential images only. I thought that was what the ‘intermediate’ option would allow me to do.

There is a small sofware utility out called objct2VR which takes qtvr movies (a bit buggy) but also image sequences, and turn them into an html5 based objct VR movie.

But there is no way in C4D to tap into that aujtomated image sequence for me to render these out as an image sequence?

Albert

Signature 

ALBERT KIEFER
visual designer

Posted: 24 April 2016 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Albert,

Yes, to have that as an output option would be great, there are two ways to get this done, besides 3rd parties:

Create a suggestion to Maxon:
http://www.maxon.net/support/suggestions.html

OR

Perhaps Cineversity has an idea for that, I will link this thread, to do it. Fingers crossed.

I found an script here: (no guarantee though)

http://www.creativebloq.com/css3/build-360-view-image-slider-javascript-3122883

To get the image-sequence out of the Quicktime file, open it in QT 7 PRO and use the export function. Perhaps use Animation as codec while rendering (100%) and then use the format you like to have for the next steps (e.g., Color Correction, or setting a station bug). See image.

=====

Besides that, and to completely take that step out (QTVR), you can set up your own camera rig, and get all the views needed. Set the interpolation to step, to avoid any motion blur.

=====

I have no idea what Adobe has to offer, I have stopped a long while ago (decade+) to update my two Director applications, as it went too pricy and nearly no requests.

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 24 April 2016 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

P.S.: here is a little set up, that allows to give you any image sequence you need.

It is here set up for 19 rows (10º steps) and 36 images per row, which also stands for 10º steps.

As you can see, the animation is based on Repeat functions in the Timeline. The overall frame count needs then only to follow. For a simple sequence number, I started with frame one.

There is of course the idea to set this up per XPresso and input values…

One note, I have two light set ups, for object light or camera light, which needs to be decided. Switch in the Layer Browser.

All the best

File Attachments
CV2_r17_drs_16_ANvo_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 62KB - Downloads: 235)
 Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 28 April 2016 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2007-01-27

Thanks Sassi!

As always you come to the rescue grin

Albert

Signature 

ALBERT KIEFER
visual designer

Posted: 28 April 2016 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thank you, Albert, for the feedback,

very nice of you!

My best wishes for your project.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 28 April 2016 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Joined  2007-01-27

Hello Sassi,

I almost missed your very constructive replies… I looked through your first reply via my mail so I missed the subsequent answers you provided.
Thanks again for your valuable input!

Albert

Signature 

ALBERT KIEFER
visual designer

Posted: 28 April 2016 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks again, Albert. Yes, sometimes e-mails are missed as “notifications here, sorry about that. If I see a problem in my post, I fix it and that is not e-mailed again.

Let me know if there is something else.

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

‹‹ Q&A_miscellaneous      Custom Icons ››