A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

CV-VRCam: C4D to Gear VR 3d (ie Stereo) Sill Image Format
Posted: 19 March 2016 12:37 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2008-03-16

I’ve been using the CV-VRCam plugin to export Stereo 3D Animations to YouTube/Facebook. It works great!

A client has asked for some Stereo 3D still images to use on his Gear VR. I thought, no problem, here you go. I supplied him with a Top/Bottom 4K image rendered using the CV-VRCam Render Settings. It doesn’t appear that the Gear VR supports this particular format for still images.

I did some digging and it seems that the Gear VR supports Top/Bottom for video, but wants Cube Faces for Stereo 3D Still Images. I think I know how to take a Equirectangular Render and convert it to Cube Faces using Pano2VR, but I’m not sure how to do this with a stereo image (ie Top/Bottom). Does anyone have any experience creating Stereo 360 VR Still images for Gear VR from C4D? What is the correct format and the process involved?

Thanks for you help!

Michael Stafford

Signature 

Michael Stafford
ideas in motion

Posted: 19 March 2016 12:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2008-03-16

If the cube face format is correct, then I suppose one way to do it would be to render out the Stereo Image using CV-VRCam, then split the image into 2 separate Top and Bottom images. Then take each of those, convert to cube maps and assemble them into the Oculus Stereo Still Image Format which I gather is this (https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=23164). Do you think that would work? Can this be automated somehow? Is there an easier way?

Any and All help appreciated!

Signature 

Michael Stafford
ideas in motion

Posted: 21 March 2016 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  406
Joined  2006-01-24

Hi Michael,

We’re working on the Cube format for GearVR, and hope to put something out in the coming weeks.

Rick

Posted: 22 March 2016 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2015-08-28

Hi Rick,

any news on the camera rotation issue? when we are using the cv vrcam setup the camera just faces a certain direction and we’d like to animate the rotation.

thanks a lot

Peter

Posted: 22 March 2016 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2006-01-24

Camera rotation is supported in the next release.

Posted: 22 March 2016 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2015-08-28

That is fantastic, any chance of a date perhaps? thanks a lot

Peter

Posted: 22 March 2016 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2015-08-28

And one more question, is there a render farm that supports the plugin? thanks

Peter

Posted: 06 April 2016 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2006-01-24

Happy to announce CV-VRCam 1.5 is now available, and we’ve also published a specific tutorial today on creating cube maps for Oculus 360 Photos.

Regarding David’s question about commercial render farms - a few have contacted us about it, but I’m not sure if any are currently offering it. Now that 1.5 is available we’ll see if we can get some of the popular ones updated and on board. A render farm definitely comes in handy when rendering images at VR resolutions!

Posted: 18 April 2016 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2016-04-18

Dear Rick
Is there any renderFarm that can currently work with cv vrcam ? if not, any workaround to work with one?  (i need to render 7000 frames…)

thanks
aya