A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Vectorworks to C4D
Posted: 10 February 2012 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-10-19

I am now integrating Vectorworks into my C4D process and I am having a difficulty with models that I am bringing in. They all come in at 10x I have looked at scale in both to check set up and I have brought .3ds models in from Autodesk products with no problem.  Any ideas?

Posted: 13 February 2012 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2008-02-19

If it’s 10 times scale, why not just scale it 10x with the “Scale Project” command in the edit menu? 1 cm = 10 cm, or vice-versa. Then save the C4D file—should fix it if it’s that simple.

-

Not sure exactly what else you might be bumping up against. I’ve converted a bunch of CAD source files to C4D, but usually scale between other files were not a big concern. Since it’s relative and I would adjust by eye if needed and not fuss with the accuracy of units too much.

.3DS is a really old format -—It’s likely to work better because Autodesk owns it.—just a guess.

Since you’re in VectorWorks - - I’d try exporting in either .DAE (Collada)  or .FBX—those two formats should behave better in the exchange process…but can’t say for certain.

Signature 

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited.
- albert einstein

Posted: 14 February 2012 07:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2011-10-19

Thanks for that.  You are correct Simon.  However, since both programs are owned by Nemetschek I would have expected a better integration between the two. I mostly work for engineers and architects and the models have to go back and forth, as the project develops, so it is a bit of pain to have to remember that the models do not scale properly one way.  At least I now know I am not doing anything wrong.

Posted: 14 February 2012 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  406
Joined  2006-01-24

If you have RenderWorks, you can use the “Send to CINEMA 4D” command or Export to a C4D file directly. As far as I know this functionality is limited to RenderWorks customers though.

There’s also an exchange plugin available (the “old” exchange) that exports a “vw4d” file from VectorWorks, and a complementary component in C4D imports those files. The VW side of the plugin can be found on maxon.net - the C4D side should be preinstalled.

Posted: 15 February 2012 07:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2011-10-19

Thanks Rick.  I have tried “send to Cinema 4D” and that does not seem to be compatible with C4D V13 (My Vectorworks is version 2011). So I normally export them via “Export to C4D” and that is when the scale goes.