A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

CV-VRCam Left/Right Channels Reversed
Posted: 14 May 2016 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2016-05-13

When I use YouTube’s Metadata Tool on footage rendered with the default “YouTube VR 2160s” render settings, when I upload to YouTube the left/right channels are reversed. Is anyone else having this problem?

I have to manually swap the top & bottom halves of the footage in After Effects before uploading. I find it strange that the channels are swapped like that when the plugin is made specifically for YouTube. I wish there was at least a simple toggle setting to swap the channels either in the CV plugin or metadata tool.

I’ve used CV-VRCam v1.0 & v1.5 and both are the same.

Posted: 20 May 2016 08:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Joined  2016-05-13

I think I finally figured it out, you can not rotate the camera in any way, if you do it causes the left and right channel to misalign. I thought it was the plugin reversing the channels, but it was from rotating the camera.

I don’t know if I missed a warning about it somewhere, but there should be big bold letters explaining it. There’s no way to tell until you’re looking through a headset or take the time to overlay the left and right channel, and even then it took a lot of head-scratching before I understood what was going on.

Attached is a file showing the left and right channels from the camera being rotated: vr_comparison-cv-vrcam.gif

And this file shows how the channels should look when aligned properly: vr_comparison-jakem.gif

I don’t know if anybody is reading these posts, but hope it helps someone in a similar situation.

Posted: 20 May 2016 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  406
Joined  2006-01-24

Hmm. It doesn’t seem like the camera rotation should cause the eyes to flip. I know we had issues with this in the past, and actually flipped the eyes between version 1 and version 1.1 because we determined they were backwards. We’ll do some further investigation here and see if we can figure out what’s going on.

Posted: 21 May 2016 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2016-05-13

Oh okay, so the channels were actually flipped in version 1.0, the misalignment in version 1.5 can look like flipped channels at certain angles, so I thought that was what was going on at first. As far as I can tell when you rotate the CV-VRCam object, it rotates the left and right cameras locally.

If you child the CV-VRCam to another object and then rotate the parent, it works correctly.

In the video tutorial (@8:59) you drop the CV-VRCam into an existing camera as a matter of convenience, but I think it should be stated that if you plan on doing any rotational changes at all, even static, it needs to be done to a parent object.

PS - The plugin is great otherwise, really appreciate you guys making it available!

Posted: 23 May 2016 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  406
Joined  2006-01-24

Ok - I think I’ve got it. We’re testing a fix and will release it ASAP.