A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

2 of 2
CV-VRCam Problem!
Posted: 10 December 2015 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  406
Joined  2006-01-24

We’d love to see your tests and discuss approaches. We’re honestly just getting rolling with all this ourselves.

Posting in this forum is fine, but please start a new thread since this one is focused on compatibility issues.

Posted: 17 December 2015 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2006-05-09

Hi Guys,
I spent some time now using the CV-VR cam plug in.  It’s a whole new world for us and a lot of people I guess.
I’ve built a basic scene, and I’m seeing a lot of pinching once I create the equirectangular render.  I might just be approaching it wrong.
What I’m seeing in my scene is much different than what I’m seeing once I upload to Youtube.

I’ve attached a screen grab of my environment, and here is a link to the 3D video on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvT8Mbpv9rE&feature=youtu.be

I’ve place my scene file (too big to upload here) on our ftp site:

View Link: http://clientshare.ccfv.com
Project Name: MG Temp2  
Username: gold2
Password: goldtemp2

Note: For best results, download file to your local hard drive.

If someone can take a look, that would be great.

Sincerely,
Mike

Posted: 17 December 2015 09:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  99
Joined  2007-07-02
Michaeljg40 - 17 December 2015 12:32 PM

Hi Guys,
I’ve built a basic scene, and I’m seeing a lot of pinching once I create the equirectangular render.  I might just be approaching it wrong.
What I’m seeing in my scene is much different than what I’m seeing once I upload to Youtube.

Hi Mike,

I’ve taken a look at your YouTube video. There does seem to be some pinching at the poles of the environment as well as a pretty nasty seam along the place where the sides meet. That said, the floating cells (?) seem to be pretty well represented without too much distortion. Seems like the issue might be something to do with your texture projection on the environment. Try Cubic instead of Spherical/UVW, that should avoid the worst of the pinching at the bottom, but it will result in some texture seams - it’s debatable which is preferable.

Or, are you talking about how your editor preview / rendered images look wacky? With the horizontal line down the center and the smearing at the top/bottom of the image? That’s a product of the “equirectangular projection” - basically trying to turn a “spherical” environment into a rectangular image. That line and smearing disappears when YouTube reinterprets the footage into a spherical environment and only shows you a small section of it at a time (creating a bunch of smaller rectangular frames cut out of the larger whole).

I’d say it’s currently a limitation of the system, but I would say it would make a great feature idea:
IDEA: Auto-disable the CV-VR Cam Post Effect for in-editor renders.

Rick is currently on vacation, but when he gets back I imagine he’d be receptive to implementing the idea should C4D’s API support it.
Cheers,

Donovan

Posted: 17 December 2015 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
Joined  2006-05-09

Hey Donovan,
Thanks for taking a look.  Yes, I agree, the cells are working out ok, but the environment is definitely the problem.  I did a test render with a camera at the same position as the FWD cam, and then had it rotate both vertically and horizontally.  When I see the environment from all sides as the camera rotates around, it seems much better.  There’s still some of the expected pinching along the poles, and there’s a line where the UV seems are, but it’s much cleaner looking.  The exaggerated black line is not there either.  I’m not sure if this is simply a function of the equirectangular render, or something else.  I’ll keep playing around, and see what I can find.  I’ve been switching between using UV mapping, and cubic for the environment, but either way I’m still getting serious pinching once I render.

Mike

Posted: 17 December 2015 11:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  99
Joined  2007-07-02
Michaeljg40 - 17 December 2015 09:55 PM

the environment is definitely the problem.

Hey Mike,

Rick pushed out a v1.1 update to CV-VR a few days back. Are you updated to the latest version? I know that he fixed some issues w/ the projection calculations. I’ve just rendered a test 360 of your environment, and mapped it back onto a sphere w/o any of the seams or pinching you’re running into - so it seems like the 1.1 update might fix the issue if you haven’t already updated. Otherwise, I’ll need to do some more tests on my end, actually pushing the finished images up to YouTube to see where the problem lies.

- Donovan

Posted: 18 December 2015 12:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
Joined  2006-05-09

Yep,
I have v1.1

Mike

Posted: 04 February 2016 10:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2014-11-13

Hi Everyone.
i’ve been working on the “youtube 360 thing” for the last week. Try Vray and Arnold Sphere Cams, reflective spheres, and nothing gives me the results i need neither technical or artistic, and today i finally arrive at this point, the cv vrcam. I running R17 on OSX and i got the same issue “Error…(ID 1036331)” when i try to open the test proyect. First i got no render settings (version 1.0), now (version 1.1) i got the render settings but the CV-VRCAM check is empty so it only renders the front cam.

Any suggestion?

Thanks to all and have a nice render. smile

Branca

Posted: 05 February 2016 01:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Branca,

Since I use Mac and R17, as well VR-Cam 1.1 I though I check it.

It all works fine here.

The VR-Cam, so far I can tell from all the questions in the past weeks, needs raytracing as option. Which means one has to set, e.g., X-Particles to use raytracing and nothing else to get an result.

I have recorded my short little test, and I hope I’m up-to-date with all software. :o)

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/kDOGXj2G6eZoACgO1NcFVS4QGrOJn1xDBuk9Uflvw37?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

I guess Rick and Donovan have as usual more supportive information about the CV-Tools, and certainly to the error-code.

My best wishes

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 12 February 2016 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
Joined  2016-02-10

Hi,

I have been playing a bit with VR-cam and ran into a little problem…

I am trying to animate the pitch of the camera(s). The rig moves and when I render out of the individual cameras they are ok.
However when I render the stitched 360VR version the orientation remains unchanged?

I am using r16 on a pc.

If anyone could shed some light on this that would be fantastic.

Many Thanks

EDIT - Just saw the other thread and see its a limitation of the plugin and being worked on… Cheers

Posted: 05 April 2016 10:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
Joined  2007-10-03

Hi all,

I am using C4D R15 here and did a test with VR-cam it works fine, but when I turn on Vray for C4D, the render gets messed up, is VR-cam currently compatible with Vray for C4D? or is there a solution for that?

Thank you!
Yang

Posted: 06 April 2016 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Bump.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 06 April 2016 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  406
Joined  2006-01-24
Laundry - 05 April 2016 10:01 PM

I am using C4D R15 here and did a test with VR-cam it works fine, but when I turn on Vray for C4D, the render gets messed up, is VR-cam currently compatible with Vray for C4D? or is there a solution for that?

CV-VRCam only works with C4D’s native Standard and Physical Render engines, but V-ray has a spherical camera built in. I haven’t used it myself, and I’m not sure if it does stereo properly or not, but this tutorial will give you a starting point.

2 of 2