A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Motion Capture to IK Retargeting 1
Posted: 19 January 2016 05:21 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2010-09-13

Hi,
I am looking for the completed retarget rig file of this tutorial to check if it fits my needs. Is this available ? As this is an rather old tutorial i also would like to ask if this concept is still working with the new character tools ?
Finaly i am also looking for a concept the other way around. I would like a to retarget an advanced ik rig to a simplified mocap rig so i can animate in cinema and export it to the unity game engine mechanim system (not legacy mode!).

Thanks,
Matthias

Posted: 19 January 2016 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Matthias,

Mixing the question, made me think were to place it. What is the main question?

I hope Michelle can find the file, if it is back-up’ed, then certainly.

======

The initial idea would be to check out why you would like to go that route with a “Simplified Mocap Rig”, while Rick has shown here:
http://www.cineversity.com/vidplaylist/unity_game_development_with_cinema_4d/unity_game_development_with_cinema_4d_part_08
how to get the Character Rig workflow established. What do I miss?

======

Perhaps too far fetched, some random thoughts:
There are some thoughts about, and I hope they will help you to get to your target. The new Character tools are simple to use, considering the complexity under the hood. The key element is here IK, but if you use perhaps MoCap sessions to animate, I would think that this should be considered as well:
The last book that I have read about Tracking/Matchmoving, was the great book from Erica Hornung, “The Art and Technique of Matchmoving” [Focal Press]. There is not a single mentioning of a retargeting with IK. Which made me think about the practicality of such a set up. Typically, so far my little training allows me to tell, any capturing of an actor motion will lead to a set of informations where a joint for example is. The complexity of expressions is certainly huge. Think alone how the position of the elbow reflects a mood. Are the elbows point out or hide nearly close to the body. If you take an IK approach, if I get your idea about simplification at all, then the wrist will make the arm and perhaps part of the should even move, just to focus on a single part. Perhaps your character shrugs just by lifting an object, and the actor might have intended to say anything else than that with their body-language than—shrug.
With those concerns sketched out, I would go to the studio where you like to do the motion tracking and talk to those in charge of the final data, if you do your own Mocap sessions (I’m currently not clear about if you do or not). They certainly have a good idea what is requested these days and what not. Hence what would work best.

Anyway, I hope Rick’s great series helps, you might know it already of course.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]